Memorial Day: Saint-Ex Chili Cook Off to Benefit Garrison School
From Alejandra Owens. Check out her food and cooking blog, One Bite At A Time, and follow her on Twitter @frijolita.
What are your plans for the weekend, Borderstanis? If you’re coming up short, I have something for you! The Memorial Day Cafe Saint-Ex Annual Chili Cook Off!
Borderstan.com and Luis Gomez Photos are among the cosponsors of the event, and I’ll be there judging the best chilis that chefs from local restaurants have to offer.
The annual event is hosted and sponsored by Cafe Saint-Ex and will be held on the 1300 block of T Street NW next to the neighborhood eatery. The event runs from 11 am to 5 pm Monday, May 30.
There will be local bands playing music all day, a Peroni beer truck and a kids’ area for some family fun (because beer trucks and family fun definitely go together!).
All proceeds from the 2011 Chili Smackdown-Cook Off go to Garrison Elementary School at 1200 S Street NW; you can also find the school on Facebook.
Now to the most important part: the chili.
Everyone who attends will have a chance to sample chili and eat themselves silly. At some point, I’ll be putting on my judge’s hat to award a winner in the following categories:
- First Place
- Second Place
- Best Use of a Unique Ingredient (please, no one use cinnamon, please!), and
- People’s Choice, which will be judged by everyone who attends the cook-off.
First place will be awarded $500 and second place will be awarded $200. That’s some serious fun money.
- Who: You and a few of your hungry friends!
- When: Monday, May 30, 2011, 11 am-5 pm.
- Where: Café Saint-Ex (1847 14th Street NW) with the festival on the 1300 block of T Street NW.
- Why: Support Garrison Elementary School, one of the DC public schools in the neighborhood and to have fun!
- Cost: Admission to the fun times outside is free, but food will cost you. The chili is $6 a bowl or $15 for a flight of 4 chili tastes. Hot dogs and hamburgers will be available for purchase.