From Alejandra Owens. Check out her food and cooking blog, One Bite At A Time, and follow her on Twitter @frijolita.
What are your plans for the weekend, Borderstanis? If you’re coming up short, I have something for you! The Memorial Day Cafe Saint-Ex Annual Chili Cook Off!
The annual event is hosted and sponsored by Cafe Saint-Ex and will be held on the 1300 block of T Street NW next to the neighborhood eatery. The event runs from 11 am to 5 pm Monday, May 30.
There will be local bands playing music all day, a Peroni beer truck and a kids’ area for some family fun (because beer trucks and family fun definitely go together!).
Now to the most important part: the chili.
Everyone who attends will have a chance to sample chili and eat themselves silly. At some point, I’ll be putting on my judge’s hat to award a winner in the following categories:
- First Place
- Second Place
- Best Use of a Unique Ingredient (please, no one use cinnamon, please!), and
- People’s Choice, which will be judged by everyone who attends the cook-off.
First place will be awarded $500 and second place will be awarded $200. That’s some serious fun money.
- Who: You and a few of your hungry friends!
- When: Monday, May 30, 2011, 11 am-5 pm.
- Where: Café Saint-Ex (1847 14th Street NW) with the festival on the 1300 block of T Street NW.
- Why: Support Garrison Elementary School, one of the DC public schools in the neighborhood and to have fun!
- Cost: Admission to the fun times outside is free, but food will cost you. The chili is $6 a bowl or $15 for a flight of 4 chili tastes. Hot dogs and hamburgers will be available for purchase.