From Matty Rhoades
Last month in Police Service Area (PSA) 305 violent crime rose but property crime declined. The numbers are on a year-over-year (YOY) basis, comparing May 2011 to May 2010. There were 28 violent crimes last month in the PSA — which includes much of the U Street corridor — compared to 21 in May 2010.
However, property crime declined noticeably on a YOY basis: 62 property crimes in May compared to 87 the previous May. When you combine violent and property crimes, total crime was down 17% on a YOY basis last month. There were 90 total crimes in the area compared to 108 in May 2010.
The biggest increase was in assaults with a slight increase in robberies. Gun crimes — any crime committed with a gun — were also up. Burglaries, thefts and stolen autos were down dramatically last month on a YOY basis. Specific numbers are below.
Borderstan compares crime statistics on a year-over-year basis by month; this helps account for seasonal differences in crime. All numbers are from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) Crime Database.
Trendline Since 2008
Looking at the number of crimes in May in PSA 305 shows 88 total crimes in 2008, a spike to 137 in 2009, 108 in 2010 and 90 last month.
Broken out by types of crime, there were 17 violent crimes in PSA 305 in both May 2008 and 2009. This number has increased since, to 21 in May 2010 and 28 last month.
For property crime in the month of May in PSA 305, the numbers for last month are below those of May 2008 — after spiking in 2009 and 2010. Property crimes by year in May: 71 in 2008, 120 in 2009, 87 in 2010, and 62 in 2011.
Specific Crimes in PSA 305
- Robberies were basically unchanged. There were 17 robberies in PSA 305 in May (two with guns) compared to 16 in May 2010 (two with guns).
- Assaults were up dramatically. There were 11 assaults last month (two with guns), compared to three in May 2010 (none with guns).
- Gun crimes — all crimes committed with guns — were up. There were four last month compared to two in May 2010.
- There were no reported sex abuse crimes last month compared to one in May 2010.
- There were no homicides in PSA 305 last month — there was one in May of last year.
- Burglaries were down in PSA 305. There were six burglaries last month compared to 13 in May 2010.
- Thefts were down by 33%: 18 last month, compared to 27 in May 2010.
- Thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) were essentially unchanged in PSA 305. There were 36 last month compared to 37 in May 2010.
- The number of stolen autos was down dramatically. There were two last month, compared to 10 in May 2010.
PSA 305 Crime Stats for May
|Police Service Area 305|
|Year||Total Crimes||Violent Crimes||Property Crimes||Gun Crimes||Homicides|
- Total Crimes are Violent and Property Crimes combined.
- Violent crimes are homicides, sex abuse, robbery excluding gun, robbery with gun, assault with dangerous weapon excluding gun and assault with dangerous weapon with gun.
- Property crimes are burglary, theft, theft from auto, stolen auto and arson.
- Gun Crimes are robberies and assaults committed with a gun. Gun crimes are counted here in Violent Crimes.
- Homicides are counted as part of Violent Crimes and were most likely committed with guns.
- All numbers are from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) Crime Database.