From Matty Rhoades
Due to a 97% rise in property crime, total crime in the Logan Circle area was up substantially in May from the previous year. On a year-over-year (YOY) basis, there were 74 crimes reported in Police Service Area (PSA) 307 last month, compared to 42 in April 2010.
The biggest increase was in thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) or “TFAs,” but there were also more thefts, burglaries and stolen autos in the Logan Circle-area PSA. YOY the number of property crimes almost doubled, from 32 in May 2010 to 63.
There was a similar increases in TFAs and thefts in the Logan Circle in April and March as well. Year to date (January 1-June 26), property crime in PSA 307 is up 42% compared to last year. There were 212 property crimes from January 1 to June 26, 2010 — but 300 for the same period this year. The biggest increase is in TFAs, which are up 121% on a YOY basis; there have been 154 such crimes so far this year compared to 71 for the same period of last year.
Violent crime rose slightly last month YOY. There were 11 reported violent crimes in 307 last month compared to nine to previous May. There were a combined nine robberies and assaults last month — the same as the previous May. Last month there were two reported sex abuse crimes in 307. However, year to date, violent crime is down slightly in 307: There have been 57 violent crimes so far this year compared to 61 in the same period of 2010.
PSA 307 covers an area from L Street NW on the south to S Street NW on the north and from 9th Street NW on the east to 15th Street NW on the west. All numbers are from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) Crime Database.
What does the May trendline show for PSA 307?
- May 2011: 74 crimes (11 of them violent crimes)
- May 2010: 42 crimes (9 of them violent crimes)
- May 2009: 126 crimes (31 of them violent crimes)
- May 2008: 79 crimes (10 of them violent crimes)
Specific crimes for May are listed below.
Specific Crimes in PSA 307
- There was zero homicides in May, same as last year.
- There were two sex abuse cases reported last month compared to none in May 2010.
- There were six robberies (one with a gun) in PSA 307 in May 2011 compared to seven (one with a gun) in May 2010.
- There were three assaults last month compared to two in May 2010. One of the assaults last month involved a gun, same as the previous May.
- The number of burglaries increased from last year: nine last month compared to four in May 2010.
- The number of thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) skyrocketed: 22 last month compared to four in May of last year.
- The number of thefts increased YOY: 26 last month compared to 20 in May of 2010.
- The number of stolen autos increased from four in May 2010 to six last month.
PSA 307 Crime Stats for May
Police Service Area 307
|Year||Total Crimes||Violent Crimes||Property Crimes||Gun Crimes||Homicides|
- Total Crimes are Violent and Property Crimes combined.
- Violent crimes are homicides, sex abuse, robbery excluding gun, robbery with gun, assault with dangerous weapon excluding gun and assault with dangerous weapon with gun.
- Property crimes are burglary, theft, theft from auto, stolen auto and arson.
- Gun Crimes are robberies and assaults committed with a gun. Gun crimes are also counted here in Violent Crimes.
- Homicides are counted as part of Violent Crimes and were most likely committed with guns.
- All numbers are from the MPD Crime Database.