54°Clear

January-June: D.C. Property Crime Up 8%, Violent Crime Down 7%

by Borderstan.com July 5, 2011 at 7:30 am 0

MPD Crime Databse, DC crime statistics

For the first six months of 2011, violent crime decreased 7% compared to the same period of 2011. However, property crime was up 8%, which drove total crime up 4%. (Luis Gomez Photos)

From Matty Rhoades

How are D.C.’s crime stats looking for the first half of 2011? The main number everyone looks for in D.C. is homicides and there is good news to report: There were 55 homicides in the first six months of 2011 compared to 60 in the same period of 2010, an 8% drop.

Overall, crime was up 4% due to an 8% rise in property crimes during the January-June period. Violent crime was actually down 7% during the first six months of 2011 from the same period in 2010. All numbers are from the MPD Crime Database.

See the chart below for specific D.C. crime numbers for the January-June period. Later this week we will have six-month stats for the Dupont, Logan and U Street neighborhoods.

Property Crime Up 8%. There were increases in four of the five types of property crimes: burglaries are up 13%, thefts up 17%, theft from auto up 4%, and arson up 12% (a small number of crimes). However, there were 11% fewer stolen autos in the first six months of 2011.

Violent Crime Down 7%. The only type of violent crime that showed an increase over 2010 was sex abuse, up 3%. Robberies (both with and without a gun) were down 7% from the first six months of 2010. The number of assaults with a dangerous weapon (with and without a gun) were down 9%. Gun crimes (robberies and assaults with guns) are down 16% for the first half of 2011 over 2010.

Total Crime Up 4%. On a year-over-year (YOY) basis, total crime in D.C. is up 4% for the first six months of 2011 compared to the same period of last year. The increase is driven by an 8% increase in property crimes — violent crime is actually down 7% from last year. Property crimes accounted for about 79% of all crimes.

3-Year Trend

What does the three-year trend for the January through June period in D.C. show?

  • From 2008 to 2011 violent crime declined 16% for the first half of the year.
  • Property crime during the same period declined 11%.
  • Total crime — property and violent crime combined — was down 12% between 2008 and 2011 for the first half of the year.
  • The number of murders declined from 83 in the January through June period of 2008 to 55 so far in 2011, a 22% drop.
  • Gun crimes — robberies and assaults involving a gun — have declined 29% from 2008 to 2011 for the January-June period.
Crime in Washington, DC: January 1 through June 30
Crime Type 2008 2009 2010 2011 % Change 2010 to 2011 % Change 2008 to 2011
Homicide 83 65 60 55 Down 8% Down 22%
Sex Abuse 212 199 172 177 Up 3% Down 16%
Robbery without Gun 1,350 1,362 1,281 1,238 Down 3% Down 8%
Robbery with Gun 669 766 589 502 Down 15% Down 25%
Assault with Dangerous Weapon (no gun) 1,076 943 1,010 944 Down 7% Down 12%
Assault with Dangerous Weapon (with gun) 353 307 281 226 Down 20% Down 36%
Total Violent Crime 3,743 3,642 3,393 3,142 Down 7% Down 16%
Burglary 2,005 1,709 1,732 1,963 Up 13% Down 2%
Theft 4,227 4,654 3,999 4,685 Up 17% Up 11%
Theft from Auto 4,205 4,442 3,185 3,308 Up 4% Down 21%
Stolen Auto 2,621 2,335 1888 1,680 Down 11% Down 36%
Arson 23 26 16 18 Up 12% Down 22%
Total Property Crime 13,081 13,166 10,820 11,654 Up 8% Down 11%
TOTAL CRIME 16,824 16,808 14,213 14,796

Up 4%

Down 12%

Leave a Comment

* Required fields

×

Subscribe to our mailing list