Happy weekend, Borderstan! Here are my top picks for what to do in and around the neighborhood this weekend.
Friday, August 19
- Head over to Black Cat for the inaugural Friday Night Frights of the season, featuring two episodes of Tales From the Crypt and drink specials every Friday from 7 pm to 8:30. Spooky scary.
- Beer Week is also still in full swing. Check out Alejandra’s local guide for more info on where to drink this weekend.
Saturday, August 20
- Go for a walk down Florida Avenue and find yourself at DC Scoop, the annual community summer event featuring free ice cream that brings together families, neighbors and local businesses. Participants will be able to taste (and judge) the District’s best ice cream, gelato, custard and other summer treats. Union Market at 6th Street and Florida Avenue NE from 1 to 4 pm. Free! Full details here.
- The DC Market also starts today! Starting this Saturday, August 20 and running for four consecutive weekends at 14th and W Streets NW, the market place will feature an array of arts, crafts, artisan foods and produce each weekend (Saturdays and Sundays) from 10 am to 4 pm. Definitely go check it out — more info here.
Sunday, August 21
- Sunday will be all about the second annual Hip Hop Bar Crawl on U Street. Starting at 1 pm and promising to go into the wee hours of the night, the crawl features different DJs spinning different themes at each of the six participating U Street bars, from Tabaq to Queen Makeda. Each bar will have drink specials and a $5 wristband gets you access to each stop. More details and a review from last year here.
- If you’re looking for something with a smidge more class, POP! is extended again at the Studio Theater… through Sunday, August 28. Go see it! I already told you that Jana and I had a nutty time there last week, but now you can read her full review of the show.
There you have it, party people. What are you doing this weekend? Did we miss anything good? As always, let us know below.
See you next week!