Your Ultimate Guide to Saturday’s 17th Street Festival
From Laura Herman of LauraLikesThis. Laura is also a contributor over at Brightest Young Things and you can find her on Twitter @Lmhhabs. Email her at [email protected].
We interrupt our usual weekend picks to bring you the Ultimate Guide to the 2nd Annual 17th Street Festival, right here in the heart of Borderstan. Last year’s festival was a great success and this year’s festival takes place THIS SATURDAY, September 24, on the 17th Street NW corridor — along 17th Street between P and Riggs and on R Street between 17th and New Hampshire Avenue NW — between 2 pm and 6 pm.
Festival Map: Print a copy of the map with a list of all the business specials and events. The Festival includes an Art Show, Kids Zone and Pet Zone. And be sure to check out the 2011 sponsors.
The street will be sectioned off into a pet zone, a three-block long market place with a main stage in the middle, two blocks of an art show, a kid zone, and a beer garden at JR’s. There will be a ton of different live performances, music, business specials and general merriment throughout the day. To help you plot your course through the festival, here are our top picks for things to check out. Oh, and don’t forget about the people watching.
The entertainment stage is at 17th and Corcoran near Safeway.
- 2 pm: Deb Felz Band
- 2:20 pm: VIDA Fitness – ZUMBA
- 2:35 pm: Sherry Vine
- 2:45 pm: Eric Scott & Company Dance Crew
- 3:20 pm: The Silver Liners
- 3:55 pm: Drag City:DC
- 4:15 pm: Raw with DJs Shea Van Horn and Bil Todd
- 5 pm: Recording artist Inaya Day
Must-Hit Business Specials
The festival map includes the list of business specials.
- Agora- $3 Miller Lights, $3 rail drinks all day
- Cafe Green- 50 percent off all cocktails, with vegan food specials inside
- Dito’s Bar- $5 sangria, $3 beer, $5 onion rings or calamari all day
- Floriana- debuting a new brunch menu with half-price bottles of wine between 2 and 6 pm
- Grubb’s NW Pharmacy- 20% off all overt the counter products for their grand opening
- Hank’s Oyster Bar and Lounge- $15 gift certificate for $10, with all proceeds going to Historic Dupont Circle Main Streets
- Level One- $10 sandwich and chip special
- Pizza No. 17- $10 pizza, $4 Bud Lights all day
- Tranquil Space- $50 unlimited one month pass for new students
- True Value – 20% off purchase between 2 and 6 pm with coupon
- Art show where local artists will display and sell their works, between P and Q Streets
- JR’s Bar & Grill will celebrate its 25th Anniversary by bringing back last year’s popular beer garden at 17th and Church Streets. There is a $5 cover to enter the beer garden, with the proceeds benefiting the Festival.
- Ross Elementary PTA and the DC Jewish Community Center will sponsor the Kids’ Zone, which will be held in front of Ross School on the 1700 block of R Street NW.
- The Pet Zone will be located between R Street NW and Riggs Place NW. In addition to other activities, MPD will be doing a K9 demonstration.
AND DON’T FORGET: Stop by and visit us at the Borderstan tent! We’ll be next to Salon Rouge on 17th Street (north of Safeway, south of R Street). We’ll see you there!
Borderstan.com and Luis Gomez Photos are among this year’s sponsors.
Previous Festival Posts
- 17th Street Festival Announces “Wide Variety” of Artists
- 17th Street Festival Announces Lineup of Bands, Peformers, DJs
- 17th Street Festival Partners with Historic Dupont Circle Main Streets
- 2nd Annual 17th Street Festival Seeking Local Artists, Vendors