Logan Circle: Property Crime Continues Downward Slide in August
From Matty Rhoades
Property crime in the Logan Circle area in August continued a downward trend that began last year. The August crime statistics for Police Service Area (PSA) 307 show a year-over-year (YOY) 33% decrease in property crime.
Violent crime in the Logan Circle PSA was up slightly — there were 21 violent crimes last month compared to 16 in August 2010. When both categories are combined — property and violent — crime was down 22% on a YOY basis in August 2011. All numbers are from the MPD Crime Database. Full numbers are in the chart below.
- Violent Crime. There were 13 robberies last month (two with a gun) compared to 13 the previous August (six with guns). The number of assaults rose from two in July 2010 to seven last month.
- Gun Crimes. The good news is that gun crimes decreased; there were three last month compared to seven in August 2010.
- Property Crime. There were declines in burglaries, thefts and thefts from autos on a YOY basis in August 2011.
3-Year Trend: 2008 to 2011
What does the three-year trend, 2008-1011, for the month of August show for PSA 307?
- Violent crime is up 62% — but the relatively low number of such crimes can make the percentage increase misleading. There were 13 violent crimes in August 2008, 8 in August 2009, 16 in August 2010 and 21 in August 2011.
- Property crime is down 32%. There were 76 property crimes in August 2008 compared to 52 in August 2011.
|Crime in Police Service Area 307: August 1-31|
|Crime Type||2008||2009||2010||2011||% Change 2010 to 2011||% Change 2008 to 2011|
|Homicide||0||0||1||0||Down 100%||No change|
|Sex Abuse||1||0||0||1||N.A.||No change|
|Robbery without Gun||9||4||7||11||Up 57%||Down 18%|
|Robbery with Gun||0||2||6||2||Down 67%||Down 100%|
|Assault with Dangerous Weapon (no gun)||2||2||1||6||Up 500%||Up 200%|
|Assault with Dangerous Weapon (with gun)||1||0||1||1||No change||No change|
|Total Violent Crime||13||8||16||21||Up 31%||Up 62%|
|Burglary||10||6||9||8||Down 78%||Down 20%|
|Theft||29||33||42||26||Down 33%||Down 10%|
|Theft from Auto||28||38||17||12||Down 12%||Down 57%|
|Stolen Auto||9||4||4||6||Down 25%||Down 33%|
|Total Property Crime||76||81||72||52||Down 33%||Down 32%|