Oh, hello, Borderstan. It’s been a while, so I have to let you know how excited I am to be back in DC for a weekend.*Finally* I trust that weekends have still been, you know, happening in my absence. But I have an extra special round up of weekend picks for ya this week, just in case you’ve missed me. So here’s whats up in and around the neighborhood this weekend. Hint: a lot of this has to do with wine or beer…
Thursday, October 20
- Head over to Bier Barron (1523 22nd Street NW) tonight to hear about the “State of the Brewnion.” The event, hosted by Washington City Paper, will feature a panel of local experts discussing everything from DC’s burgeoning craft beer culture, to home brewing, local beer menus and where to find the good stuff. Complimentary tastings, snacks, beer trivia and prizes. 6:30 to 8:30 pm.
Friday, October 21
- Get in your FRIDAY NIGHT FRIGHTS at BlackCat (Halloween is next week, people, so go while you can). Two episodes of Tales From the Crpyt and drink specials. Entry is freeee! Doors at 7 pm.
- Then, dance your way over to DC9 for their weekly Liberation Dance Party (Fatback is in Baltimore this weekend-womp womp), which will double as The Wombats’ official after-party after their 930 Club show. Doors at 9 pm. Rail drinks open bar from 9 to 10:30. The Wombats will swing by later on in the evening for a special guest DJ set. Nice.
Saturday, October 22
- Grey DC is back! (Curious what this is? Read about their stop in Borderstan earlier this Summer) Swing by the pop-up market this Saturday between 3 to 7 pm at 1365 Kennedy Street NW. Sign up and more info here.
- It’s also DC Wine Week! The schedule is packed, so be sure to check out the full list of events happening all week long across the city, but the closing event “The Wine Down” this Saturday night at One Lounge (1606 20th Street NW) is not to be missed. RSVP here. Time is 6 to 9 pm.
- If you REALLY want to be an oenophile (or just drink a lot of wine) this weekend, check out Wine Riot, a “non-pretentious wine tasting event” created with the 21-35ishhhh crowd in mind. After staging three ridiculously successful events in Boston, Wine Riot hit the road and stops in DC this weekend, just in time to wrap up DC Wine Week. Wine Riot will run on Friday from 7 to 11pm and on Saturday from 1 to 5 pm and 7 to 11 pm. Guests will get to try more than 250 wines, learn a thing or too about wine tasting, and enjoy music, food, photo booths and more… tickets and more info here.
Sunday, October 23
- Get into that fall festive mode by checking out out Bar Dupont’s Oktoberfest Beer Festival on their patio (1500 New Hampshire Avenue NW) this Sunday from 11 am to 10:30 pm (it’s on Saturday from 11 am to 2 am, too!). They’ll be blasting German music and have German and American draught beers, including a special Oktoberfest menu, on specia. $5 mugs and $10 pitchers.
- Then later, consult Borderstan’s own Lebodome’s reviews of local sports bars as you’re deciding where to watch the game. I’m not really much of a football fan (this may have something to do with the fact that I’m in near last place in my league), but his bar picks have been adding to my otherwise lazy Sunday afternoons this Fall.
- A FREEBIE ALERT! Dunkin’ Donuts (recently) opened at 14th and U Streets NW and they’re giving away free medium-sized coffees to celebrate. Valid until October 30. You’re welcome.
Save the Date
And save the date for two great concerts coming up:
- Thursday, October 27: Suckers and Rewards are playing DC9 to benefit Common Good City Farm. Good music AND a good cause.
- Saturday, November 5: The Congressional Chorus AND the American Youth Chorus kick off their season with “American Tapestry,” celebrating American history through song. The show’s local at the National City Christian Church in Thomas Circle and proceeds will go toward youth arts education. Tickets and more info here.
Enjoy the weekend, Borderstanis. Let us know what YOU’RE doing this weekend. And I’ll see you next week for a spooky, scary special edition Halloween weekend round up.