Whatever your politics, I think most people would agree that our food tastes better when you know it was grown and harvested in a sustainable and healthy manner. World Food Day, on Monday, October 24, celebrates just that, with events throughout the Borderstan neighborhood and around DC.
The Food Day movement strives to bring together all eaters — kids, schools, parents and work day professionals — to promote humane, affordable food choices. Food Day has an impressive list of advocates on their advisory board. They include Alice Waters of Chez Panisse, author Michael Pollan, filmmaker Morgan Spurlock, and Nora Pouillon, chef and owner of Restaurant Nora, in addition to a host of members of Congress (including the two co-chairs).
So what’s happening with World Food Day here in DC and in the neighborhood? Some specials and events kick off this weekend.
This Weekend: October 22-23
- Seasonal Pantry Celebrates Farm Fresh Eggs. Seasonal Pantry on 9th Street NW will have farm fresh eggs at a discount on Saturday, October 22 and Sunday, October 23 from noon to 7 pm.
- Ideal Food and Farming. On Sunday, October 23, Ideal Food and Farming is a public, outdoor educational event that will include speakers, large displays, videos, exhibitors, and food. The benefits of animal-free food and farming will be highlighted. The event is at at 1525 20th Street NW (Dupont Cirlce) and begins at 3 pm.
- Double Matching Dollars at Dupont Farmers Market. For the week of October 24-30, FRESHFARM Markets, including the Dupont location, is increasing the amount of free Matching Dollars from a maximum of $10 to $20 for shoppers using SNAP (Food Stamps/EBT) or WIC/Senior FMNP coupons. The Dupont Farmers Market is open only on Sunday mornings.
World Food Day: Monday, October 24
- Teaism in Dupont Circle. The R Street NW Teaism location will be offering a special food day dish starting at 11:30 am.
- Pop-up Food Truck Festival in Franklin Square. Chef-inspired food trucks will surround Franklin Square to serve well-sourced, sustainable, delicious food for lunch, beginning at 11 am.
- Sweetgreen stores in Logan Circle and Dupont Circle. These Sweetgreen locations will offer a Food Day menu item starting at 11:30 am.
- Food Day Veggie Food Giveaway. Find some delicious meat-free samples at Dupont Circle’s south Metro exit, beginning at 11 am.
- Benefit Concert in Honor of Food Day. Monument Productions presents Suckers, a Brooklyn-based band, at DC9 Nightclub. Proceeds benefit Common Good City Farm, music starts at 8:30 pm.
Six Principles of World Food Day
- Reduce diet-related disease by promoting safe, healthy foods
- Support sustainable farms & limit subsidies to big agribusiness
- Expand access to food and alleviate hunger
- Protect the environment & animals by reforming factory farms
- Promote health by curbing junk-food marketing to kids
- Support fair conditions for food and farm workers