Local businesses, organizations and people in the Dupont-Logan-U Street area dominated the voting in this year’s reader poll of Washington Blade‘s Best of Gay D.C. 2011 DC awards.
Not surprisingly, businesses on the 14th Street, 17th Street and U Street corridors brought home the most prizes, with representation from P Street and 9th Street NW as well.
- Dining: 8 winners in the area
- Nightlife: 7 winners in the area
- Community: 12 winners in the area
- People: 8 winners in the area
- Double Winners: Level One restaurant, JR’s Bar and Grill
- All-time Leaders: Annie’s Paramount Steakhouse and JR’s Bar and Grill, both on 17th Street NW, are the leaders for most wins in the Blade reader poll, 2001-2011.
Below is the list of local winners by category.
There were 12 different DC sub-categories in Dining. Local establishments brought home eight of them: the 17th Street corridor brought home four awards, while 14th Street got three and 9th Street had one.
- Best Late Night: Annie’s Paramount Steak House, 17th Street NW
- Best Coffee Shop: Caribou Coffee, 14th and Rhode Island NW
- Best Date Restaurant: Floriana, 17th Street NW
- Best Wine Bar: Cork, 14th Street NW
- Best Chef: Allan Javery, Level One, 17th Street NW
- Best Brunch: Level One, 17th Street NW
- Best New Restaurant: El Centro, D.F. Taquileria and Taqueria, 14th Street NW
- Best Ethnic Restaurant: Etete, 9th Street NW
- Best Vegetarian Restaurant: Busboys & Poets, 14th Street NW
There were eight different DC sub-categories in Nightlife category. Local establishments brought home seven of them: the 17th Street corridor brought home three awards, while U Street corridor/area won three and 18th Street NW had one winner.
- Best Place to Meet Women: Lure/Bare at Cobalt, 17th Street NW
- Best Dance Club: Town Danceboutique, 8th Street NW
- Best Happy Hour: JR’s Bar and Grill, 17th Street NW
- Best Neighborhood Bar: JR’s Bar and Grill, 17th Street NW
- Best Place to Meet Men: Nellie’s Sports Bar, U Street NW
- Best Live Music: 9:30 Club, V Street NW
- Best Cocktail: Lemon Squeeze at Duplex Diner, 18th Street NW
There were 16 different DC sub-categories in the Community section of the awards. Local establishments brought home 12 of them; one is on 9th Street NW, two are on 14th Street NW, three are on 15th Street NW, one on 16th Street NW, and one on P Street NW.
- Best Gym: VIDA Fitness, four locations (with a fifth to open) including U Street and 15th Street NW
- Best Home Furnishings: Room and Board, 14th Street NW
- Best Art Gallery: Long View Art Gallery, 9th Street NW
- Best Home Improvement (tie): Logan Hardware/Sparrow Construction (Logan Hardware has five DC locations including P Street in Logan Circle)
- Best Place of Worship: Foundry United Methodist Church, 16th Street NW
- Best Local Blog: Borderstan (covers Dupont-Logan-U Street areas)
- Best Sports Team (tie): Stonewall Kickball and the Washington Nationals (Stonewall Kickball plays at Stead Park Field on P Street NW)
- Best Place to Get Married: Meridian Hill Park, 15th/16th Streets NW
- Best Gay-Owned Business: D.C. MetroVet (housecalls)
- Best Hotel: Hotel Palomar, P Street NW
- Best Salon/Spa: Bang Salon, three locations including U Street and 15th Street NW
- Best Clothing Store: Universal Gear, 14th Street NW
People from the Dupont-Logan-U Street area brought home a total of eight awards in the People category.
- Best Actor (tie): Jeffrey Johnson and Neil Patrick Harris
- Best Bartender: Liz Warner-Osborne of Cobalt, 17th Street NW
- Best Musician: Tom Goss
- Best Personal Trainer (tie): Ryan Stitt and Liz Warner-Osborne, both at VIDA Fitness
- Best Businessperson: Mark Rutstein (manger of Cobalt/Level One and owner, The Rutstein Group)
- Best Drag Show/Best Drag Queen: Ladies of Town and Ba’Naka
- Local Hero: Frank Kameny (posthumous); note that 17th Street NW between Q and R Streets NW is co-named Frank Kameny Way.