As you baste or brine your turkey, take a moment or two to think of those less-fortunate than you. Charities always need donations, whether in-kind or cash, and the holiday season is particularly important for fundraising. Here are some options:
- Today (November 23) is the last day to drop off food donations to Logan 14 Aveda Lifestyle Salon~Spa at 1314-B 14th Street NW during business hours. Along with Foundry United Methodist Church, the salon partnered with Bread for the City this season. You can also make donations on Thanksgiving Day at Foundry United Methodist Church.
- Gifts for the Homeless is accepting clothes through December 2. Or make a donation. Example: $100 buys 1 dozen fleece blankets. You can leave your donations at the Portals III Complex at 12th and D Streets SW. The clothing drive (sorting and delivering) will take place at the same location Friday, December 2 through Sunday, December 4. If you are interested in volunteering at this event, please visit the volunteer page.
- The Central Union Mission at 14th and R Streets NW will be moving to it’s new location at 65 Massachusetts Avenue NW in 2012. However, they depend on donations during the holidays for a large portion of their annual needs.
In addition, The The Washington Post can give you some good guidance on local charities that need your help. If you are in the area and looking to pass some time, I am sure they could use your donations, your time or your financial assistance.
- Central Union Mission Prepares for Last Thanksgiving on 14th Street
- Local Church, Spa Partner to Collect Food for “Bread for the City”
- Got $25? Buy 60 Men a Pair of Socks (Who Really Need Them)