The historic Shaw neighborhood continues to grow and change and the April 18 fundraiser, “Shaw in Bloom” will celebrate what’s happening in this part of town. Long View Gallery at 1234 9th Street NW is hosting the Gala 2012, an event of Shaw Main Streets; the gala runs from 7:00 to 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $75.
Shaw Main Streets is a non-profit dedicated to revitalizing the 7th and 9th Street corridors of the neighborhood. The gala will benefit Shaw Main Streets’ commercial revitalization efforts. “Shaw in Bloom” will feature:
- A live auction hosted by Town Dance Boutique’s drag queen hostess, Lena Lett.
- The evening’s master of ceremonies is Paul Wharton, TV fashion and lifestyles guru and “Real Housewives” star.
- Beer, wine and a signature, crafted cocktail by The Passenger’s expert mixologist, Derek Brown.
- Live, acoustic jazz performances by 1905 Bistro regulars, Laissez Foure.
- The announcement of the winners of Shaw Main Streets’ awards for “Shaw Champion,” “Shaw Hero,” and “Shaw Game Changer.”
About Shaw Main Streets
Shaw Main Streets was founded in 2003 and utilizes the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s Four Point Approach to revitalization. The organization provides a multitude of services and projects throughout the neighborhood, from training business owners, to cleaning up trash and graffiti, to promoting the various businesses in Shaw. Shaw Main Streets has played a direct role in more than 100 businesses that have opened in or relocated to the neighborhood, and has helped existing businesses evolve to meet changing consumer tastes and needs.