Yes, there are great restaurants in the Borderstan area. Lots of them walking distance from home: Italian, French, Thai, Chinese, Spanish tapas. But sometimes I just feel like going in, sitting down, saying hello to the bartender and getting a hamburger or a tuna melt without having to wait or make reservations or spend more than $20.
That’s why I am glad Stoney’s is on the 1400 block of P Street NW (it feels like a miniature Main Street of a town to me).
It is not a fancy place, but it has a great atmosphere with an ample bar, a good selection of beers and a couple of large TV screens downstairs, plus an upstairs as well. Note: They moved to Logan Circle several years ago after originally opening on L Street in 1968.
Whenever I go there I love that the food is always exactly what I was expecting — and how I remember it from the last time I had it. The food is simple, call it bar or diner food: burgers, salads, sandwiches and a pizza menu. They also have some specialties that they say is their claim to fame: a grilled cheese sandwich, a brisket sandwich, grilled salmon and their Mac-N-Cheese.
I have had many of their burgers, always enjoying the flavor and the meat. The Reuben and Pastrami Delight are among my favorites when not having a burger or a tuna melt.
And, as a true purveyor of comfort food, Stoney’s also has meatloaf and mashed potatoes on the menu, as well as chili and a pasta dish that’s good for “the day after” a night on the town.
Stoney’s has become a part of the neighborhood, a local pub and a place that you know is reliable when you feel the need for some comfort food at an affordable price. Plus, I always look for someone I know when I enter — it’s that kind of place.
Stoney’s: The Details
- Where Am I Going? 1433 P Street NW.
- When Am I Going? Monday through Thursday, 11 am to 2 am; Friday and Saturday, 11 am to 3 am; and Sunday, 11 am to 2 am.
- Delivery? No, but they do have carry-out service.
- Paycheck Pain? $8.95 for a grilled ham and cheese with fries. (They list their price range as $10 to $30)
- Say What? It can be loud for dinner but usually much quieter for lunch. They also serve breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays.
- What You’ll Be Eating: Great comfort food.