The 37th Annual Capital Pride Heroes Gala & Silent Auction took place at the Living Social Building in downtown Washington DC. The event, which helps kick-off the yearly Capital Pride Festival, recognizes community-nominated individuals who have helped to further the causes of the LGBT community.
Recipients of this year’s Heroes Award:
- Andrew Barnett, executive director of metro D.C.’s Sexual Minority Youth Assistance League (SMYAL).
- Eboné Bell, whose BOI Marketing & Promotions gives DC an annual Capital Queer Prom.
- Michelle Benecke, cofounder of Servicemembers Legal Defense Network.
- Kevin Paul Platte, founder of the DC Cowboys.
- Justin B. Terry-Smith, volunteer Maryland Defense Force and HIV activist.
There were also awards given to Mark Meinke and Cyndee Clay for their exceptional work in the community.