From Alejandra Owens. You can find her at her food blog, One Bite At A Time. Alejandra also writes for City Eats DC, a Food Network site, where you can book dinner reservations. Follow her on Twitter at @frijolita and email her at alejandra[AT]borderstan.com.
You know when your friend is slicing cheese in this new, different way that somehow makes the cheese so perfect and the slicing so easy? And your mind is blown and you’re like, whoa! Why didn’t you tell me about that? That would have made my life so much easier!
Yeah. That moment. When you realize you’ve essentially been doing something wrong forever. Let’s try to minimize those moments, yes? I poked around on my favorite DC-based food blogs for top tips, guides and advice all geared toward doing *fill in the blank* better. In no particular order
- How To Build A Cheeseplate from Not Derby Pie
- The Secret To Perfect Sugar Cookies from Passion Fruits
- Secrets To Successful Canning from Mrs. Wheelbarrow
- A guide to Tools For The Home Bar from Scofflaw’s Den
- 10 Rules For Amateur Bakers from Pete Bakes
- How To Quickly Peel A Head Of Garlic on Dine Like A Pauper, from the folks at Saveur
- Pitting A Cherry Without Fancy Tools from moi (and a slew of other tips)
What’s your favorite kitchen, baking, cocktail tip? Whether it yields perfect results, or makes you look like MacGyver in the kitchen, we want to hear them all!
P.S.: And just for giggles, here’s a French guy opening a bottle of wine with a shoe. Because sometimes you may forget a wine opener.