Borderstan welcomes new contributor Aparna Krishnamoorthy. Email her at aparna[AT]borderstan.com
I dropped into Chix, a somewhat tucked away spot (located on 11th Street NW just north of U Street), on a rainy afternoon, and was pleasantly surprised by all of the healthy options offered. The restaurant storefront is in the basement of the building and has a small kitchen in the back. The menu, written on a blackboard, featured three different types of chicken, a few sides, vegetables and chicken wraps options.
To order is simple – choose the type of chicken you want, then your sides and a sauce. The Colombian chicken (marinated in “Colombian coffee and coconut milk”) immediately caught my attention. So I ordered the quarter chicken special, with sweet potatoes and a salad for my sides. (Un)fortunately they were out of the noodles and cheese!
The chicken was moist and had a subtle, but distinct, flavor of the coffee. The curry mustard sauce was creamy and delicious, although I didn’t really need it for such a flavorful piece of chicken. The avocado dressing that came on the salad was good, too, especially coming from someone who does not care for avocados. (Yes, I just said that.)
But the roasted sweet potatoes were the best thing on the plate; well seasoned and cooked to the perfect balance of crispness on the outside and softness on the inside. I would go back to Chix even just for these.
A small dining room is located on the second floor and patio seating is also available, making this a perfect spot for a breezy evening of al fresco dining.
Chix uses organic and hormone free products and also provides environmentally friendly packaging and utensils.
For all of $8, I had a delicious meal without feeling stuffed and greasy. Chix is a solid option for carry-out, delivery (yes, they deliver!) or to stop by for a quick bite to eat.
- Where Am I Going: 2019 11th Street NW (between U & V Streets)
- When Am I Going: Monday to Friday 11:30 am to 10 pm; Saturday noon to 10 pm; and Sunday noon to 9 pm.
- Paycheck Pain: Quarter chicken and 2 sides come to about $8, with lunch specials starting at $6.50 and dinner specials at $6.99.
- Say What?: Seating is fairly limited, with room for about 25 people in the space (inside and patio).
- What You’ll Be Eating: Chicken. There are also some vegetarian options.