Looking for something to do this weekend? Well, look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in Borderstan August 4th and 5th.
MidCity Dog Days Sidewalk Festival
The annual MidCity Dog Days celebration is finally here! On August 4th and 5th, join more than 70 local businesses and retailers for live music, discounted merchandise, food, drinks and an array of fun events. Here are some of the festival’s highlights:
- Dog Days Sidewalk Sale: Always a favorite of the weekend, the Sidewalk Sale will feature chic clothes and accessories from community retailers at discounted prices.
- The Best in Dog Show: Think that your four-legged best friend is the cutest pup in the community? Why not enter Fido into the Best in Dog Show? The friendly competition will take place Saturday, August 4 from 9 to 11 am at the African-American Civil War Memorial (U Street and Vermont Ave NW).
- Zumbathon Demo: Don’t miss your chance to showoff your Zumba skills with VIDA‘s Zumba instructors. The booty-shaking demo will take place on Saturday, August 4 from 11 am to 12:30 pm at 15th and P Streets NW.
- Listen Local First Street Music Showcase: Catch some of the neighborhood’s best local musicians at various pop-up street performances throughout the weekend.
- City Dogs Rescue Adoption Event at CityPaws Animal Hospital: On Saturday, stop by CityPaws Animal Hospital (1823 14th Street NW) for a great community event featuring adoptable dogs from City Dogs Rescue. CityPaws will provide visitors with educational information, as well as a doggie treat bar for all the dogs out and about at the Dog Days Sidewalk Sale. Adoptable dogs will be onsite from 10 am until 4pm, weather permitting.
- DC Flea Market: Come see what the Huffington Post considers a great place to find some of DC’s most unique things at the DC Flea Market at the Dog Days Festival. The N Street Village Community Craft Collective will be out selling their handmade items and DJ Jah-Sonic will be spinning the tunes. The Flea Market will take place on Sunday, August 5 from noon until 6 pm at Blackbyrd (2005 14th Street NW).
The Festival takes place on August 4 and 5 on 14th Street NW (between P Street and Florida Avenue) and U Street NW (between 9th Street and 17th Street). Times for the event are 9 am to 8 pm on Saturday, August 4 and 10 am to 7 pm on Sunday, August 5.
Borderstan.com is a proud sponsor of the MidCity Dog Days Sidewalk Festival. For more information on the event and participating businesses, visit the Dog Days website or email [email protected]; and stay tuned to Borderstan.com for more information on specific Dog Days events.
Local Events and Exhibits
- Rave by the Pool with Brightest Young Things: On Saturday, August 4, join Brightest Young Things for one of their notorious pool parties from 11 am until 7 pm at the Capitol Skyline Hotel (10 I Street SW). Pack your suit and prepare for a day filled with bikinis, pool games, DJs, food and drinks! Tickets are $15 in advance and are available online.
- “Beyond the Story” at National Geographic: The National Geographic Museum (1145 17th Street NW) is exhibiting some of its best photographs that have never been seen before. The free exhibit ends on Sunday, August 5 and is open from 10 am until 6 pm daily.
- DC United vs Columbus Crew: Come cheer on the Black and Red as they enter the home stretch of the season for their first playoff berth since 2007. The game is Saturday, August 4 at 7:30 pm at RFK Stadium (2400 E Capitol Street SE).
Live Music and Performances
DC9 (1940 9th Street NW)
- Saturday, August 4: Red Light District – a disco-house music dance party, 10 pm.
- Sunday, August 5: Broncho, Bad Weather California, 8 pm.
Velvet Lounge (915 U Street NW)
- Saturday, August 4: Total War, Tiger Bitter, RCRDS, 9 pm.
- Sunday, August 5: Hurlebaus, Kairos House, Two Inch Astronaut, 7:30 pm.
9:30 Club (815 V Street NW)
- Saturday, August 4: Our Lady Peace, Mean Creek, 8 pm.
- Sunday, August 5: Aesop Rock with Rob Sonic and DJ Big Wiz, 7 pm.
Black Cat (1811 14th Street NW)
- Saturday, August 4: Drop Electric, Conveyer, Southwork, Presto Bando, 9 pm.
- Sunday, August 5: AU, Tu Fawning, 8 pm.