Looking for something to do this Labor Day weekend? Well, look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in Borderstan for the long holiday weekend.
Local Events, Exhibits and Nightlife
- 14th and U Street NW Farmers Market: If you are grilling out this weekend, chances are, the farmers market at 14th and U Streets NW has what you need! To add to the weekend excitement, Chef Harper McClure of the Federalist is conducting a cooking demo at 11 am. The market is open rain or shine from 9 am until 1 pm. For more information, visit the market’s Facebook page.
- A Night of Art, Music and Fashion with Allure at MOVA Lounge: Friday, August 31 from 9 pm until 2 am. Visual artists Giuliano Basualdo Tague and Note to Self will showcase works, Whitney Abstrakt will provide the music. For more information, see MOVA’s online newsletter. Enjoy a complimentary bottle of Finlandia Vodka for the first 3 groups of 8 people to confirm by email to cliff[AT]movalounge.com.
RSVP BY NOON DAY OF EVENT!
- AT&T Nation’s Football Classic: Saturday, September 1, the Morehouse College Maroon Tigers will take on the Howard University Bisons at RFK Stadium at 3:30 pm. For information and tickets, visit the website.
- Drawing Residency at 87Florida: An opening reception for the work Eames Armstrong conducted during his residency at the Pink Line Project; 6 to 9 pm at 87 Florida Avenue NW.
- Tedd Baker joins DC Jazz Jam as Monthly Master: Sunday, September 2, DC Jazz Jam welcomes Tedd Baker, lead saxophonist for the Air Force’s “Airmen of Note.” The show is from 6:30 until 9:30 pm at Dahlak Restaurant (1771 U Street NW).
- “Desert Air” at the National Geographic Museum: “Desert Air: Photographs by George Steinmetz,” opens this weekend at the National Geographic Museum. The exhibit features Steinmetz’s photographs from his 15 year expedition documenting the world’s deserts. National Geographic Museum (1145 17th Street NW) is open every day from 10 am until 6 pm.
- Blue Moon on the Blue Moon to Benefit Shaw Middle School Art: On Friday, August 31, come test Blue Moon’s new brew, Caramel Apple Spiced Ale, at Local 16 (1602 U Street NW). All proceeds for the “Blue Moon” event benefit the art program at Shaw Middle School; there is a $5 suggested donation.
DC9 (1940 9th Street NW)
- Saturday, September 1: Red Light District/House Dance Party/DJ Bill Spieler, 10:00 pm.
- Monday, September 3: Pop.1280, Iron Galaxy, Shat Shorts, 8:30 pm.
Velvet Lounge (915 U Street NW)
- Sunday, September 2: Go Crazy, The Family Lumber, The Sea Life, 7:30 pm.
9:30 Club (815 V Street NW)
- Saturday, September 1: Levi Stephens & The Dreamscapes Project w/ Ted Hovis and the Stolen Camaros, 5:30 pm.
- Sunday, September 2: Based on a T.R.U. Story Tour 2 Chainz w/ Cap 1, 7 pm.
Black Cat (1811 14th Street NW)
- Friday, August 31: Modern World, Mod, Garage, Soul, Power Pop w/ DJs Jake Starr, Dianamatic, Mad Squirrel, Andi Supreme, 9:30 pm.
The Howard Theatre (620 T Street NW)
- Friday, August 31: Saul Williams presents CHORUS – A Spoken Word Tour w/Holly Bass, 8 pm.