Borderstan Welcomes new contributor Melanie Hudson. Email her at melanie[AT]borderstan.com
When my husband and I got married last year, we wanted it to be as simple as possible. For us, that meant looking around our own neighborhood of Borderstan for the best wedding options, without having to trek all over the DMV for deals. We wanted to support local businesses as much as possible, and supplement with inexpensive things online. The result? It was surprisingly easy to create a Borderstan wedding that was personal to us and showed off the best parts of our neighborhood to friends and family – and didn’t break the bank entirely.
Here’s Part One for how to make your wedding easy and source it in Borderstan.
Get the Sparkly
You don’t need to look further than Connecticut Avenue to find high quality diamonds, gemstones and antique pieces.
Lock Down the Party
You’ve found The One, now find your fairytale location. From small, intimate spaces to blow-the-roof-off hotel ballrooms, Borderstan has venues for the engagement party, rehearsal dinner and the wedding reception itself. Plus, plenty of spots to stash your future in-laws instead of on your sofa.
- Longview Gallery, 1234 9th Street NW
- The Washington Club, 15 Dupont Circle NW
- The Whittemore House, (Woman’s National Democratic Club), 1526 New Hampshire Avenue NW
- Carnegie Institution for Science, 1530 P Street NW
- Meridian Hill Park, (flash mob wedding!), Between 16thStreet NW, Euclid Street NW, 15th Street NW and W Street NW
- Josephine Butler Parks Center, 2437 15th Street NW
- The Meridian House, 1630 Crescent Place NW
- The Mayflower Renaissance Hotel, 1127 Connecticut Avenue NW
- Donovan House Hotel, 1155 14th Street NW
- Darlington House, 1610 20th Street NW
- Tabard Inn, 1739 N Street NW
- Heurich House Museum, (Brewmaster’s Castle), 1307 New Hampshire Avenue NW
- The Dupont Circle Hotel, 1500 New Hampshire Avenue NW
Craft your Guest List
Don’t just change your Facebook status from single to engaged. Let everyone know they’re invited to the celebration with engraved invitations, trendy letterpress cards or less traditional handwritten notes.
- Written Word Online. We all mourned the loss of this upscale paper store in Logan Circle, but they still operate their letterpress shop online and print custom invitations.
- Copenhaver, 1301 Connecticut Avenue NW
- Pulp DC, 1803 14th Street NW
Dress the Part
Borderstan has fashion grand enough for a walk down the aisle and hip enough for the honeymoon. And don’t forget your guests – there is plenty for them to wear, too.
- Rizik’s (bridal, accessories and formal wear), 1100 Connecticut Avenue NW
- Current Boutique (women’s new and consignment dresses galore — get your something borrowed here), 1809 14th Street NW
- Lettie Gooch Boutique (women’s dresses and accessories), 1517 U Street NW
- Propper Topper (women’s dresses and accessories), 1350 Connecticut Avenue NW
- Lou Lou (jewelry and accessories to make your head spin), 1601 Connecticut Avenue NW
- Alton Lane (bespoke menswear), 1506 19th Street NW
- Brooks Brothers (made to measure and off the rack men’s suits and accessories), 1201 Connecticut Avenue NW
- Johnston and Murphy (men’s shoes and accessories), 1150 Connecticut Avenue NW
Most importantly, shed your stress with day-of beauty treatments. Take care of the little things that will make all the difference: hair, makeup, nails, waxing, and for men – a clean, close shave.
- Blue Mercury, 1619 Connecticut Ave NW
- Mimosa, 1706 Connecticut Ave NW
- Immortal Beloved, 1457 Church St NW
- Blondie’s Hair Studio, 1910 18th Street NW Second Floor
- Salon Blu, 1339 14th Street NW
- Grooming Lounge (for men), 1745 L Street NW
If you do have any other suggestions from around the neighborhood, please let us know.