Looking for something to do this weekend? Well, look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in (and around) Borderstan September 14th, 15th and 16th.
Local Events, Exhibits and Nightlife
- Opening of doris-mae Art Gallery: This weekend, doris-mae (1716 14th Street NW) will host its inaugural exhibition featuring the work of four painters (Pat Goslee, Becca Kallem, Paul Pietsch and William Whitaker) and a video project by Will Copps. The opening reception will take place on Saturday, September 15 from 6 until 9 pm, and the show runs through October 14, 2012.
- H Street Festival: Yes, it’s a bit out of the way, but the annual street festival serves up plenty of food, art and live entertainment to make up for the journey. This year, the Festival celebrates H Street’s new Heritage Trail. The H Street Festival is Saturday, September 15 from noon until 6 pm on H Street NE.
- MOVA Weekends: MOVA Lounge (2204 14th Street NW) has a series of events lined up for the weekend. Check out Fresh Fridays (with a special guest D.J. every week) and Scorching Saturdays on September 15 from 9 pm until 2 am.
- DC Jazz Jam: Sundays mean jazz days at Dahlak (1771 U Street NW), and this Sunday features Howie Jung (keys), Duff Davis (guitar), Phil Ravita (bass) and Anders Eliasson (drums). The show is from 6:30 until 9:0 pm.
- Lots of Local Music at Area Venues: It’s a good weekend to see some of DC’s local bands at the city’s music hotspots. Junior League is at the Black Cat on Friday, September 14 at 9 pm and The Silent Critics are playing at the 9:30 Club on Saturday, September 15 at 7 pm (and I would be lying if I didn’t admit that I went to college with them). So here’s to local music! And Virginia liberal arts schools!
DC9 (1940 9th Street NW)
- Saturday, September 15: Peach Pit, Resident DJ Matt Bailer / 90’s dance party, 10:30 pm.
- Sunday, September 16: The Bottom Dollars, The Hollows, 8:30 pm.
Velvet Lounge (915 U Street NW)
- Friday, September 14: Miau Miau, Think Fast Jak, In Your Memory, 9 pm.
- Saturday, September 15: Born Loose, Jake Starr and the Delicious Fullness, 9 pm.
9:30 Club (815 V Street NW)
- Friday, September 14: The Feelies, 8 pm.
- Saturday, September 15: The Silent Critics, Aaron Crawford and the Badcards, Practically Einstein, 7 pm.
- Sunday, September 16: Bloc Party with Ceremony, 7 pm.
Black Cat (1811 14th Street NW)
- Friday, September 14: Junior League Band, The Torches, Luray, 9 pm.
- Sunday, September 16: Heavy Times, Thee Lolitas, 8 pm.