Looking for something to do this weekend? Well, look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in (and around) Borderstan September 21st, 22nd and 23rd.
Local Events, Exhibits and Nightlife
- The Third Annual 17th Street Festival: The Third annual 17th Street Festival is on Saturday, September 22 from noon until 6 pm. The festival includes local art, live entertainment and activities for kids and pets. For more information, visit www. 17thstreetfestival.org.
- Tribute to John Coltrane at DC Jazz Jam: Sunday, September 23, DC Jazz Jam will celebrate the birthday of John Coltrane. The show is from 6:30 until 9:30 pm at Dahlak Restaurant (1771 U Street NW).
- Opening for My Barbarian at Transformer: Catch Malik Gaines, Jade Gordon and Alexandro Segade’s latest project, Broke People’s Baroque Peoples’ Theater Flat Busted Wig Beauty Window Fatale, at Transformer (1404 P Street NW). The opening reception is Saturday, September 22 from 6 until 8pm.
- Invisible Man at Studio Theatre: Catch the adapted play by Oren Jacoby, based on the novel by Ralph Ellison, at 14th Street’s Studio Theatre (1501 14th Street NW).
- An Improv-Story Mash-Up at Speakeasy DC: SpeakeasyDC and Washington Improv Theater are teaming up on Saturday, September 22 for a production of true stories and improvisation. Times are 7 until 8:30 pm and 9 until 10:30 pm. More information is available at www.speakeasydc.org.
- Music With Angles at Church of the Holy City: Join the Church of the Holy City (1611 16th Street NW) for a musical concert on Sunday, September 22. For more information, visit the Facebook event page.
DC9 (1940 9th Street NW)
- Saturday, September 22: Warchild (!), Stop Fakin 2 world premiere, Mothership, 9 pm.
- Sunday, September 23: Ital, Laurel Halo, Magic Touch, M Geddes Gengras, 8:30 pm.
Velvet Lounge (915 U Street NW)
- Friday, September 21: The Spots, Hott Tub, Motorcycle Maus, Joel Blumenthal, 7:30 pm.
- Saturday, September 22: Shark Week, Medicine Man, Dr. Neanderthal, 7:30 pm.
9:30 Club (815 V Street NW)
- Friday, September 21: Grizzly Bear, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, 8 pm.
- Saturday, September 22: All Good Presents Papadosio with Drop Electric, 10 pm.
Black Cat (1811 14th Street NW)
- Sunday, September 23: Wye Oak, Callers, 8 pm.