Looking for something to do this weekend? Well, look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in (and around) Borderstan September 28th, 29th and 30th.
Local Events, Exhibits and Nightlife
- The Second LivingSocial Craft Beer & Food Truck Festival: The Second LivingSocial Craft Beer & Food Truck Festival is this weekend (September 29-30) from noon until 5 pm at the Half Street Fairgrounds (1299 Half Street SE). The event will feature beers from more than 50 craft breweries and food from DC’s favorite food trucks. Tickets are $59; more information is available on the event’s website.
- The Eighth Annual DC Green Festival: This weekend is DC’s eighth annual Green Festival, featuring cooking demonstrations, a Kid’s Zone, yoga, DIY workshops and more. The festival runs from 10 am until 7 pm on Saturday, September 29, and from 11 am until 6 pm on Sunday, September 30. The Washington Convention Center is located at 801 Mount Vernon Place NW. For more information on the Green Festival, visit the event’s website.
- Story League’s Story Contest: Story League’s next Story Contest, My Hometown, will take place at Busboys and Poets (4251 South Campbell Avenue, Arlington) on Sunday, September 30 at 7 pm. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased online. More information is available on the event’s Facebook page.
- The Geometry of DC Guided Walking Tours: George Kassouf will lead two historical walking tours throughout the city. The tours will take place on Friday, September 28 from 6 until 9 pm and on Sunday, September 30 from 8:30 until 11:30 am. Both historical tours are outdoors and are dog and stroller-friendly. The tour group will meet on the steps of the National City Christian Church (5 Thomas Circle NW) and end at Logan Circle (at the intersection of Rhode Island Avenue NW, Vermont Avenue NW, 13th Street NW and P Street NW). For more information and registration, visit the event’s page on the Cultural Tourism website.
- Museum Day Live! (otherwise known as free admission to area museums): Saturday, September 29 is Museum Day Live!, an annual event where museums across the country open their doors (for free!) to anyone presenting a Museum Day Ticket (available for download on the website). Participating DC museums include the Newseum and the National Museum of Crime & Punishment.
- BreakfastClub: An ’80s Remix Dance Party: This Friday, September 28, D.J.s Khelan Bhatia (Borderstan’s very own) and Adam Koussari-Amin will pay homage to one of the 1980s’ most classic high school films while reliving the music of the decade with “BreakfastClub: An ’80s Remix Dance Party.” The party starts at 9 pm; for more information on BreakfastClub, visit the event’s Facebook page.
- Shaw Dog Park Fall Clean-Up: Sunday, September 30, bring your shovel or rake to the Shaw Dog Park (1673 11th Street NW) and join your neighbors for a morning of clean-up from 10 until 11 am.
DC9 (1940 9th Street NW)
- Friday, September 28: Liberation Dance Party, 9 pm
- Saturday, September 29: Mice Parade Acoustic Trio, 7:30 pm
Velvet Lounge (915 U Street NW)
- Saturday, September 29: Stephie Coplan and the Pedestrians, The Tryads, 9 pm
9:30 Club (815 V Street NW)
- Friday, September 28: The Afghan Whigs, School of Seven Bells, 8 pm
- Saturday, September 29: Crystal Castles, Health, 8 pm
- Sunday, September 30: Crystal Castles, Health, 7 pm
Black Cat (1811 14th Street NW)
- Friday, September 28: Ra Ra Rasputin, 9 pm
- Sunday, September 30: Crocodiles, Punks on Mars, 9 pm
- Friday, September 28: Eric Johnson Electric Band, 8 pm
- Saturday, September 29: Kix, 8 pm
- Sunday, September 30: Larry Graham & Graham Central Station, 8 pm