When I attended GWU, I had the privilege of studying abroad one semester in a small town in southwest Germany called Freiburg. While I was able to enjoy many of the fun and interesting parts of German culture, due to scheduling and other circumstances, I was unable to attend what is high on my short list of world events I’d like to attend once in my life (World Cup, Wimbledon, Summer Olympics).
Sadly, I did not make it to Munich for Oktoberfest, a 16 day beer drinking festival. One day I hope to strap on some leiderhosen and attend this incredible event, but in the mean time I must settle for what’s in my backyard, and in DC last Saturday, LivingSocial hosted a craft beer and food truck festival at the Half Street Fairgrounds next to Nats Park.
I attended this beerfest with my girlfriend and had strong expectations for a fairly fun scene of debauchery and live music from a band I didn’t even think was real. What we experienced in the pregame area (the Bullpen) next to Nats Park was a large percentage of the city’s Yuppies mixed with patience and a dress code all over the spectrum. Here is what you missed:
- Lines, Lines, and More Lines: 100-plus breweries all had a tiny tent with one or two pours. Every participant was given a 5 once glass and access to every brewery. Due to the high volume of people, the only way to do it was to get a drink, and then immediately get on another line because it would take that long to get another one. Next year needs either fewer tickets to be sold or bigger glasses for beer. This did lead to us getting gradually tipsy, which had a nice feeling to it, but I could pass on that many lines.
- Fall Outing or Prep School Graduation: Beerfest in warm weather screams casual and comfy. Yet there was a lot of fancy button downs and ladies with heavy makeup and long skirts. I wore a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles T-shirt and, no joke, I received over a dozen comments from strangers complimenting my style (not something I am used to).
- Band or Annoying Top 40: The event promoted itself strongly with The Dan Band (fake wedding band in Old School) but had blaring annoying techno going the whole time. I know Living Social likes to be for young people and such, but we can appreciate electric guitars just as much as dupstep.
Overall it was a fine Saturday afternoon in Navy Yard. If it comes back, I am bringing a bag of pretzels and my own mug.
The Nats are IN THE PLAYOFFS. Go buy a W hat already — there’s plenty of room on the Nats bandwagon. Playoffs begin next week; the matchup is to be determined, but, man, the Nats are lookin’ good!
Links! Links! Ice Cold Links!
- I watch a lot of baseball and I have never seen this.
- Only Redskin players get hurt during warm ups.
- 300 pound NFL player doing floor gymnastics, awesome.