Looking for something to do this weekend? Well, look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in (and around) Borderstan October 12, 13 and 14.
Local Events, Exhibits and Nightlife
- Mid City Artists Open Studios: Fall is here and that means it’s time for the Mid City Artists Fall Open Studios. Open Studios are held twice a year during the spring and fall, and this season’s event is this weekend, October 13 and 14. A total of 20 artists are participating this Saturday and Sunday, all of them in the Dupont-Logan-U Street area. Mid City Artists has an easy-to-read map with participating artist studios. Studios are open in the afternoon; check the map for exact times for each artist.
- Chess in the Circle: On Sunday, October 14 Dupont Festival and the U.S. Chess Center will host Chess in the Circle, an afternoon of lessons and games in the middle of Dupont Circle. For more information on Chess in the Circle, visit the Dupont Festival website or join the event’s Facebook page.
- DC Wine Week: DC Wine Week will happen October 13-20. Co-founded by Vanessa French and Lisa Byrne (founder of DCeventjunkie), DC Wine Week is dedicated to enjoying wine and supporting the area’s growing local wineries, wine shops, wine bars, restaurants and merchants. The schedule of events is available online.
- Blessing of the Animals: Foundry United Methodist Church ( 1500 16th Street NW ) will have a Blessing of the Animals on Sunday, October 14 at 3 pm. The traditional ceremony is conducted annually in honor of St. Francis of Assisi, the saint who loved all the birds and animals.
- French Underground: BYT & La Maison Française are throwing a two-day party with live music, art, food and more at theFrench Embassy (4101 Reservoir Road NW) on Friday, October 12, and Saturday, October 13. Dubbed “The French Underground,” this weekend’s event is the place to experience some French/DC culture.
- MIXTAPE at Town: DJs Shea Van Horn and Matt Bailer are back and spinning your favorite tunes this Saturday, October 13 at 10 pm at TOWN Danceboutique (2009 8th Street NW), starting at 11 pm.
- “The Invisible Men” Film Screening and Talk with Director: View “The Invisible Men” and have a post-film discussion with Director Yariz Mozer on Sunday, October 14 at 4 pm at the DCJCC (1529 16th Street NW). “The Invisible Men” tells the untold true story of persecuted gay Palestinian who have run away from their families and are now hiding illegally in Tel Aviv, through the eyes of its three heroes.
- The Charlie Visconage Show at The Shop at Fort Fringe: The October edition of the critically-acclaimed talk show The Charlie Visconage Show will be staged on Friday, October 12th at 10:30 pm at The Shop at Fort Fringe (607 New York Avenue NW). For more information, visit the Facebook page.
- The Jewish Literary Festival: The annual Hyman S. & Freda Bernstein Jewish Literary Festival will take place October 14-24 at the DC Jewish Community Center (1529 16th Street NW). The 10-day celebration includes 15 events from celebrated authors and scholars such as Pulitzer Prize winner Michael Chabon and Nobel Prize-winner Eric Kandel.
DC9 (1940 9th Street NW)
- Sunday, October 14: Sonnymoon, American Royalty, B.Lewis, 8 pm
Velvet Lounge (915 U Street NW)
- Friday, October 12: Love Load, Sister Ex, G.U.T.S., 9 pm
- Saturday, October 13: Fujank, The Way Home, Black Checker, 9 pm
9:30 Club (815 V Street NW)
- Friday, October 12: Jens Lekman, Taken By Trees, 6 pm
- Saturday, October 13: Ryan Bingham, The Americans, 8 pm
- Sunday, October 14: Passion Pit, Youngblood Hawke, Arms, 7 pm
Black Cat (1811 14th Street NW)
- Friday, October 12: Swans, A Hawk and Hacksaw, 9 pm
- Saturday, October 13: The North Country, The Sea Life, Sweetbread Jim’s, 9 pm
- Sunday, October 14: Sunday Gospel Brunch, Featuring the Harlem Gospel Choir, 1:30 pm
- Friday, October 12: Janka Nabay & the Bubu Gang. Doors are at 7 pm; the show is at 11 pm.