Looking for something to do this weekend? Well, look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in (and around) Borderstan October 19, 20 and 21.
Local Events, Exhibits and Nightlife
- The DC MEETMarket: The DC MEETMarket returns this weekend, Saturday, October 20, and the neighborhood party is bringing food, music and culture to the heart of Borderstan. The community-driven event will take place on the corner of 15th and P Streets NW from 11 am until 5 pm.
- Artist Jane Johnson at Vastu: Local artist, Jane Johnson, is exhibiting her work now through November 18 at Vastu (1829 14th Street NW). Johnson’s work incorporates aspects of collage through use of layering and combining different textures. Vastu is open Monday through Saturday, 11 am – 7 pm, and Sunday from noon until 5 pm.
- The Kids’ Corner Fall Fair at Mitchell Park: The Kids’ Corner FallFair is this Saturday, October 20, at Mitchell Park (23rd and S Streets NW). Expect pumpkin painting, moon bounce, toddler hay rides, face painting and live music and dancing. The Kids’ Corner Fall Fair is free to attend; tickets will be sold for individual activities and food, or attendees can purchase an all-inclusive bracelet for $20. Proceeds from the event benefit the Kids’ Corner Day Care Center’s music education program. For more information, visit the Kids’ Corner’s website.
- DC United Home Game – A Fight for the Playoffs: DC United takes on Columbus Crew this Saturday evening, October 20, at RFK Stadium (2400 East Capitol Street NE). The match kicks off at 7:30 pm and is the team’s last and most important home game of the season. Tickets for this Saturday’s game are available online.
- Listen Local First at the Black Cat: Listen Local First is having a birthday party at the Black Cat (1811 14th Street NW) on Friday, October 19. The show starts at 8 pm. Tickets are $10 and are available online. More information is available on the event’sFacebook page.
- The Great Children’s Read: The Great Children’s Read: Bringing Books to Life (part of the annual Hyman S. & Freda Bernstein Jewish Literary Festival) will take place on Sunday, October 21, 10 am-12:30 pm. Celebrate classic and new Jewish children’s books with crafts, folktales, a sing-along, story time and yoga. The event is free.
- AIDS Walk Flash Mob: We’re letting you in on a little secret… AIDS Walk Washington is coming up, and to raise awareness for the 26th annual event, supporters from Whitman Walker Health will participate in a flash mob at noon on Sunday, October 21 at noon.
- Opening Reception at Gallery plan b: Gallery plan b (1530 14th Street NW) is hosting an opening reception for its new artists, Gary Fisher and Anne Manley, this Saturday, October 20 from 6 until 8 pm.
- Howard University Homecoming: This weekend is Howard University’s Homecoming, and the Homecoming parade is Saturday, October 20. The parade, which attracts roughly 30,000 participants, begins on the main campus of the University and proceeds south past the Howard University Hospital, extends through the historic LeDroit Park and Bloomingdale communities. For more information, visit the website.
- Peach Pit’s Three Year Anniversary at DC9: D.J. Matt Bailer is celebrating three years of his 90’s dance party – PEACH PIT – at DC9 on Saturday, October 20. Doors open at 10:30 pm; admission is $5. For more information, visit the website.
DC9 (1940 9th Street NW)
- Sunday, October 21: Cheap Girls, The Front Bottoms, A Great Big Pile of Leaves, 7:30 pm
Velvet Lounge (915 U Street NW)
- Friday, October 19: Stars and the Sea, EJoseph and the Phantom Heart, Poole, 9 pm
- Saturday, October 20: Tigertronic, Jack & the Moon, Panda Sanchez, 9 pm
9:30 Club (815 V Street NW)
- Friday, October 19: Ben Kweller, Lissy Rosemont, 7 pm
- Saturday, October 20: The Pietasters, Spring Heeled Jack, Murphy’s Kids, 7 pm
Black Cat (1811 14th Street NW)
- Friday, October 19: The 9: Songwriter Series, 9 pm
- Saturday, October 20: Father John Misty, La Sera, 9 pm
- Sunday, October 21: Sunday Gospel Brunch, Featuring the Harlem Gospel Choir, 1:30 pm
- Friday, October 19: JC Brooks and The Uptown Sound, 8 pm