From Rachel Nania and Luis Gomez.
While other areas of the city are hungry for more grocery store options, one thing is for sure: Borderstan is well-populated with a variety of grocery stores (and more are on the way)! From stores that specialize in specific ethnic cuisines, to Safeway and Whole Foods, we have it all.
So whether you are new to the area, or just looking to switch-up your grocery routine, here’s a list of supermarkets in the Borderstan area.
Borderstan Grocery Stores
- Safeway, 1701 Corcoran Street NW. Open Monday to Saturday 7 am to 11 pm, Sunday 7 am to 10 pm. This 17th Street staple is always a good option in the neighborhood. The selection of products and the prices are both decent. And while the building underwent a renovation two years ago, it still hasn’t lost its nickname of “the Soviet Safeway.” Make sure you do your shopping early; if you go late on a Sunday, the shelves might be empty and you will probably not find fresh produce at all.
- Whole Foods Market, 1440 P Street NW. Open 8 am to 10:30 pm seven days a week. Located in the heart of Logan Circle, this Whole Foods is a convenient store for most everyone in the neighborhood, especially if you are planning on stocking up (the free parking garage for shoppers makes those big trips so much easier). For those with shorter lists and no car, the newly opened bar makes for an obvious way to spice up a weekly errand. Expect fresh produce, a large bakery and a salad/hot food bar station. Plus, the staff is always friendly and ready to help answer your culinary questions.
- Yes! Organic, 2123 14th Street NW. Open Monday through Saturday from 8 am to 10 pm, Sunday 8 am to 9 pm. This locally-owned chain of small grocery stores always packs an excellent selection of organic food and always seems to be close by when you need something. It’s a bit pricer than a traditional grocery store, but the convenience and the staff quickly make up for that difference.
- Capitol Supermarket, 1231 11th Street NW. Open Monday through Sunday from 9 am to 8:30 pm. This hidden gem of a store has almost everything you need at a very good price. Capitol Supermarket also has a great variety of South American and Asian ethnic products.
- Best DC Supermarket, 1507 U Street NW. Open Monday through Sunday from 8 am to 9:30 pm. Similar to the Social Safeway, Best also went through a recent renovation and change of ownership, making the place nicer inside and better stocked. Even though it is not the area’s “best” in terms of grocery stores, you can find a good selection of wine and beer and some organic products. Plus, there is never a line at the register.
- Harris Teeter, 1631 Kalorama Road NW. Open Monday through Sunday from 7 am to 11 pm. This Harris Teeter has an abundance of fresh produce and a great selection of meats, cheeses and seafood. Plus, the store has a pharmacy and a “Fresh Foods” cafe area with a sub shop, a salad bar and a hot foods bar.
What’s Soon to Come to Borderstan
With all of the new development going on the area, the demand for new grocery stores only continues to increase. Here are some new stores that are coming to the area very soon!
- Giant O Street Market. The mix-development complex along 7th and O Streets NW (currently under construction), will feature a new Giant Supermarket at its anchor store. The site will also include smaller retail stores, a 189-room hotel, affordable senior housing and apartments and condominiums.
- Glen’s Garden Market. The vacant space on 20th and S Streets NW, once occupied by a neighborhood Safeway store, has a new tenant: Glen’s Garden Market, set to open in Spring, 2013. Chesapeake Bay-area-based store specializes in local produce, meats, poultry and dairy products.
- Trader’s Joe’s at 14th and U Streets NW. Perhaps the biggest news to hit the 14th Street area is that of Trader Joe’s opening a store at the Louis residential-retail complex. This location will be TJ’s second store in the District (the other store is in Foggy Bottom). The chain has what some might call a near cult-like following — due in part to cheap (but good!) wine, organic produce and other well-priced natural products.