Looking for something to do this weekend? Well, look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in (and around) Borderstan November 2, 3 and 4.
Local Events, Exhibits and Nightlife
- The Shaw Dog Park Birthday Party: On Saturday, November 3, Shaw Dog Park will celebrate its fourth birthday with a party. Bring your dog and enjoy some snacks, drinks and mingling with neighbors. The party is from 11 am until 1 pm. For more information, visit the Facebook event page.
- Dia de los Muertos at Acre 121: On Friday, November 2, Acre 121 (1400 Irving Street NW #109) will host local alt-country musicians The Highballers to celebrate Dia de Los Muertos. The event starts at 9 pm and includes drink specials, seasonal brews from Magic Hat and a costume contest.
- The Fourth DC Tweed Ride and After Party: This Sunday, November 4 is the annual DC Tweed Ride and after party at the Brixton (901 U Street NW). The party starts at 4 pm. Tickets to the event (and for the ride) are available online.
- All My Sons Opening at the Keegan Theatre: All My Sons opens this weekend (November 3) at the Keegan Theatre (1742 Church Street NW). The plays runs through December 1.
- The Black Cultural Elite and Fine Art Collecting, A Millennium Arts Salon: Harvard University’s 2009-2010 W.E.B. DuBois Fellow, Patricia Banks, Ph.D, will talk at Hillyer Art Space (9 Hillyer Court) on November 3 at 4 pm about her research and how black identities are cultivated through black art patronage. More information is available on the Facebook page.
- Sunrise Cinema at BloomBars: Out and about late on Saturday/early Sunday November 4 and can’t sleep? Or just don’t want to? Head to BloomBars (3313 11th Street NW) for the Sunrise Cinema and early morning screenings of audience-selected indies, comedies and classics. Movies start at 2:30 am and go until 6:30 am.
- “LIVE! from Busboys: Open Mic & Talent Showcase”: Want to showcase your talent to the world? (Or maybe just to Borderstan?) Buysboys and Poets (2021 14th Street NW) will hold an open mic competition on Friday, November 2 at 11 pm.
- DC Jazz Jam at Dahlak: This Sunday, November 4 from 6:30 until 9:30 pm, come out and hear live jazz at 1771 U Street NW. There is no cover charge for the live music event.
- Birds of Paradise at the National Geographic Museum: On November 1, the National Geographic Museum is opening its big fall exhibition, “Birds of Paradise: Amazing Avian Evolution,” based on work by photographer Tim Laman and ornithologist Edwin Scholes as they documented 39 species of the birds-of-paradise. The exhibition will run through May 2013. National Geographic Museum is located at 1600 M Street NW.
DC9 (1940 9th Street NW)
- Friday, November 2: Liberation Dance Party, 9 pm
- Sunday, November 4: The Darcy’s present a live interpretation of Steely Dan, 9 pm
Velvet Lounge (915 U Street NW)
- Friday, November 2: Hammer No More the Fingers, Johnny Foreigner, Lady Cop, 9 pm
9:30 Club (815 V Street NW)
- Saturday, November 3: Soulive & Lettuce, 8 pm
Black Cat (1811 14th Street NW)
- Saturday, November 3: RNDM, David Garza, Joseph Arthur & Richard Stuverud, 9 pm
- Sunday, November 4: Maserati, Majeure, Tone, 8 pm
- Saturday, November 3: Stephen Kellog and the Sixers, 8 pm
- Sunday, November 4: Sunday Gospel Brunch with the Harlem Gospel Choir, 1:30 pm
- Sunday, November 4: Samba do Avião featuring ELIN, 8 pm