From Dafna Steinberg. Follow her @AlizaySteinberg. Email her at dafna[AT]borderstan.com.
This week, dear readers, I am writing you from one of the most fashionable cities in the world: the one and only gaie Paris!
Street style in Paris is one of a kind. The French have always been considered the “royalty” of the fashion world. And how can one argue when France is home to some of greatest designers: Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent, Etienne Aigner, Jean Paul Gautier, Thierry Mugler, Givenchy, Hermes, Nicolas Ghesquière…the list is endless. (If you ever want a peek into the French fashion world, just rent the movie Pret-A-Porter. Classic)
Fashion here is definitely edgier than what we are used to in the DC area, but Washingtonians could stand to loosen up a bit. We should all be able to learn some things from our effortlessly fashionable French friends. Hopefully, some of these trend observations will help you get in touch with your inner Coco [as in Chanel] and add some strong statement pieces to your winter wardrobe.
Things that are in:
- Leather. Specifically black leather. Preferably with silver spikes or studs. Nothing is sexier than a pair of motorcycle boots covered in spikes. What better way to say “Hey, I’m chic…and I can kick your butt!”
- The color red. It’s everywhere. And not just any kind of red. Fire engine red. For the super daring, try a solid red sweater dress or a button down shirt. For those that like to keep it mild, try a wool red scarf, pair of high heel pumps or a tie (if you work on Capitol Hill, don’t worry…it’s definitely not Republican red.)
- High Heel Wedge Sneakers These are not for the faint of heart nor are they for a day at the office. However, those with a flare for the dramatic will love this style of sneaker. (I bought a pair my first day here).
- Navajo Print Something the French have learned from Americans, surprisingly. Native American style sweaters and bags are out and about in the Parisian streets.
- Vintage oversized wool sweaters. I stopped in a few vintage stores (including my favorite, Free P Star) and was excited to see that huge, bulky wool sweaters are SUPER in. And the crazier the colors, the better. Pair one up with some leggings or skinny jeans and you are ready to go!
That’s all I have for you right now, mes amis, but just wait till I get back. If you see a woman walking down U street in a tri-color pair of wedged sneakers and an oversized sweater, feel free to lay a little French on me.
Till next time…