The day after Thanksgiving is the retail world’s official start to the Christmas shopping season. Black Friday is known for its crazy crowds, long lines and ridiculously early morning hour specials at big box stores.
If you’re looking to avoid that train wreck, but still want to take part in the shopping and holiday festivities post-turkey day dinner, check-out some of Borderstan’s local stores for sales and gift ideas.
- Pulp is gearing up for a “funky Black Friday.” Shop the store from 11 am to 7 pm for some unique gifts and dance to some Christmas funk music. Pulp is located at 1803 14th Street NW.
- The DC Flea Market is going mad with a Black Friday Midnight Madness Sale on Friday, Nov. 23 from 12 am until 4 am at Montserrat House (2016 9th Street NW). Expect items from H. Darling, I Found That Vintage, Speak Vintage, Thembe Fashions and more. DC Flea Market will also provide drinks and music for the seasonal festivities.
- Ginger Root Design (1530 U Street NW) is promoting locally made items on Black Friday. Buy one local item and get the second 20 percent off. Also, the vintage collection will be 20 percent off. Ginger Root Design will be open from noon until 7 pm on Friday.
- Redeem (1734 14th Street) is opening an hour early on Black Friday (at 11 am) and will remain open until 8 pm.
- For the book lover on your gift list, swing by Kramerbooks and peruse the latest in literature. If all of the shopping works up your appetite (or your thirst), pop in to Afterwords Café for a beer or a bite to eat. Kramerbooks & Afterwords Café is located at 1517 Connecticut Avenue NW and is open 24 hours on Friday and Saturday.
- Table Top (1608 20th Street NW) will be open from noon until 8 pm on Friday. The Dupont Circle store is a great place to pick-up home accessories, books, kitchen gadgets and home décor.
- Looking for something to keep your head (and hands) warm this winter season? Proper Topper (1350 Connecticut Avenue NW) will be open on Black Friday from 10 am until 8 pm. Remember — hats and accessories make great gifts, too!
- Universal Gear (1529 14th Street NW) will be open for normal hours on Friday. Stock-up on men’s wear for the upcoming holiday parties.
- Current Boutique (1809 14th Street NW) is giving customers 20 percent off everything on Black Friday.
- Lettie Gooch Boutique (1517 U Street NW) will have several sales on Black Friday. From 10 am – 1 pm, shop the boutique’s Early Bird Sale for 25 percent off regularly priced items, 50 percent off jewelry and 30 percent off jeans. Can’t make it Friday? Some sales will also roll-over to the weekend, as well.