Happy New Year, Borderstan! If you’re looking for something to do this weekend, then look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in (and around) Borderstan January 4, 5 and 6.
Local Events, Exhibits and Nightlife
- Story Time at the 9:30 Club: On Sunday, January 6, SpeakEasy will invade the 9:30 Club with some story time. The show starts at 7:30 pm (doors open at 6), and tickets are $20.
- The Washington Jewish Film Festival: The DC Jewish Film Festival kicks off this weekend and runs through January 13. The festival will show 55 films from 15 different countries at 10 different venues throughout the city. More information is available online.
- DC Jazz Jam: On January 6, the DC Jazz Jam will play a free show at Dahlak Eritrean Restaurant (1771 U Street NW). Howie Jung will be on the keys, Duff Davis will play guitar, Phil Ravita will be on bass and Anders Eliasson will play drums.
- Dupont Farmers Market: The Dupont Farmers Market returns on January 6 for its winter season. The market will be open Sundays from 10 am to 1 pm through March 31.
- Explore U Street and Shaw: This Tour with Russ explores the neighborhood of Shaw and the cultural, residential, and business center for Washington’s African Americans in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Tickets are $15. For more information, call 703-501-7953.
DC9 (1940 9th Street NW)
- Saturday, January 5: Neon Nights Dance Party w/DJ Bradley Portnoy and Shea Van Horn, 10 pm
Velvet Lounge (915 U Street NW)
- Saturday, January 5: Seamonsters, The Shifters, Vasudeva, 9 pm
- Sunday, January 6: Lonesome Leash, Milkmachine, Pilesar, 7:30 pm
9:30 Club (815 V Street NW)
- Saturday, January 5: Delta Rae, Wild Feathers, Jillette Johnson, 7 pm
Black Cat (1811 14th Street NW)
- Saturday, January 5: Moon/Bounce Dancing Affair High Energy Dance Night of Hip Hop, House, 90s Pop, and Not-So Guilty Pleasures, 10 pm
- Saturday, January 5: Harold Melvin’s Bluenotes, 8 pm
- Sunday, January 6: Sunday Brunch featuring the Harlem Gospel Choir, 1:30 pm
- Friday, January 4: Shrine, with the Sol Power All Stars, 7 pm
- Saturday, January 5: Fort Knox Five, 7 pm