After a long month of lots of drinking, eating amazing food and traveling with friends around the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico, I am ready for some rest, recreation and home cooked meals. We are all probably still heavy in resolution making mode. One of my “resolutions” is to eat more home cooked meals this year, which will be good for my waistline and my wallet. This may be an obvious and boring resolution, but necessary.
On the menu today is a hearty breakfast casserole with sausage, kale, red peppers and cheese. This makes for a great start to the day, and even warms up decently for a grab-and-go breakfast if refrigerated.
Easy Breezy Breakfast Casserole
Ingredients (Makes about 8 servings)
- 4 links reduced-fat pre-cooked chicken-garlic sausage (or any sausage of your liking)
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 4 cups (packed) sliced kale leaves
- 2 red bell peppers – diced into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup green onions
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella
- 8 eggs, beaten
- Seasoning – salt, pepper, oregano
- Cut the sausage into half lengthwise, and then into 1″ chunks. Heat 1 tsp. of olive oil in a pan and cook sausage till well browned.
- Put cooked sausage into a greased casserole pan about 9″ X 12″.
- Sauté kale in the same pan for about 3 minutes until it wilts.
- Layer the kale over the sausage, and add in the red pepper and green onions.
- Beat eggs with seasoning spices are well combined. Pour eggs over mixture in pan, and then stir gently with a fork so that all the ingredients are evenly distributed in the eggs.
- Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes, depending on how browned you want it.
- Egg casseroles makes for an ideal breakfast, brunch or even as a light dinner alongside a salad. It takes hardly any effort, you can serve a lot of people and you can use up almost any leftover vegetables!
What veggie/cheese/meat combo egg bake would you most like to eat?