Politics aside, Inauguration Weekend is a full-blown holiday weekend in the District. What makes it a holiday, one might ask? First, there is a parade. Second, bars are open super late. And third, Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken is holding another pop-up to feed the hungry masses. Ergo, parade + drinking + doughnuts = holiday.
Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken, which will soon open in Metro Center, is finding a way to offer its services before its grand opening by holding another two-day pop-up at Chinatown Coffee Co. (475 H Street NW) on January 18 and 19.
In honor of the inauguration, Pastry Chef Jason Gehring will serve “Obama Then” and “Obama Now” doughnuts, named after Obama’s switch from sweeter choices to a healthier palate.
- Obama Then: chocolate glazed doughnut with caramel drizzle and Maldon smoked sea salt
- Obama Now: oatmeal raisin doughnut with honey glaze and granola crumble
Additional doughnut varieties available for sale on both days include:
- Brooklyn Blackout – devil’s food cake, chocolate glaze, cookie crumbs
- Peanut Butter & Jelly – strawberry jelly, peanut butter glaze
- Crème Brûlée – vanilla custard, bruleed vanilla glaze
- Twink-nut – golden vanilla cake, buttercream filling, vanilla glaze
The pop-up opens at 10 am on both days, and 300 doughnuts will be available each day.