Weekend Warrior: Four More Years! Edition
From Katie Andriulli. Email her at katie[AT]borderstan.com and follow her on Twitter @kandriulli.
Okay, so here’s the deal. This weekend is that Inauguration thing. It’s gonna be crowded, cold, and lots of people from [insert midwestern state here] are going to stand on the left side of the metro escalators. You’ve been warned.
If you DO decide to leave the confines of your abode, you can find a massive list of unofficial inaugural balls here, bars staying open ’til ungodly hours here, and food specials around town here, but really you should just do the things listed below because they are going to be fun, probably!
- Although his mom jeans belie his coolness, we all know that Obama enjoys a good beer from time to time. In honor of POTUS and his hometown of Chicago, Jack Rose Dining Saloon is hosting a Goose Island Tap Takeover starting at 5 pm, featuring $3.12 cans of the 312 Urban Wheat, $7 drafts and a rare bottle tasting from 6 to 10 pm in their new basement bar.
- Do you like Reggae? Because it is one of the things in this world that I do not like. But if you do, that’s cool. To each his own! Also, you should probably check out the official Thievery Corporation After-Party tonight at The Brixton which will feature a reggae DJ. It’s free and things will kick off around 10 pm when the Thievery show at the 9:30 Club winds down.
- My colleague, Rachel, said it best: Inauguration weekend calls for doughnuts. Snag some of the Obama-themed variety from DC’s own Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken, who will be holding another pop-up shop today at Chinatown Coffee Co. starting at 10 am.
- I will admit that I am not entirely sure what takes place at an improv comedy inaugural ball, but if you want to satisfy your morbid curiosity, head over to the DC Arts Center for the Aboulia! Inaugural Ball featuring a packed lineup of DC’s best improv troupes. The shows start at 7:30 and 10 pm, and tickets are $10.
- Preemptively counteract any licentious deeds you’ll be engaging in the rest of the weekend by volunteering as part of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service. There are a ton of events going on across the city, including one at DC Armory, where volunteers will be putting together care packages for the troops. Get all the info you need and sign up or a shift here.
- Remember when Moby dated Natalie Portman? That was pretty weird! Be sure to ask him about it tonight when you see him headlining the Blisspop Inauguration Party at U Street Music Hall, starting at 10 pm. The show is currently sold out, but it’s definitely worth scouring Craigslist for tickets.
- If you’re starting to feel yourself descending into an alcohol and tourist-induced fugue state by this point in the weekend, then the Nevermind the Inauguration Counter Inaugural Ball and Festival of Resistance might be just what the doctor ordered. The event, which starts at noon at the Warehouse Theater, features free workshops and films on global resistance, and caps things off with a good old fashioned punk rock benefit concert at 6 pm.
- True story: In 2009 I watched the Inauguration on TV at a bar in Columbia Heights with an endless supply of mimosas and bloody marys, and it was the best decision I have ever made. If you’re smart enough to follow suit (did I mention it’s going to be COLD OUT today?) plant yourself at one of the many establishments that will be serving up their usual weekend fare and specials today, including Firefly, Tabaq and Red Rocks.
Get an RSS Feed for all Borderstan stories or subscribe to Borderstan’s daily email newsletter.