Special Inauguration Edition: Weekend Plans
From Rachel Nania. Check out her blog, Sear, Simmer & Stir. Follow Nania on Twitter @rnania, email her at rachel[AT]borderstan.com.
Folks around town won’t be short on plans this weekend. From bar specials to balls, shows and inaugural ceremonies, there is plenty to do in the District this holiday weekend.
Top Picks for the Weekend and Inauguration Day
- Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe (1517 Connecticut Avenue) will be serving brunch on Monday from 9 am to 3 pm. The brunch will include lunch and dinner specials throughout the long weekend.
- Bar hopping: Several bars — in Borderstan and beyond — will have food and drink specials for the weekend. If you’re looking to avoid the crowd on the Mall, stay put on a bar stool. Chances are, you’ll be happy (and warm) with libations in hand.
- Inauguration ceremonies: If you have the guts to brave the crowd on the Mall, we recommend you download this handy bit of information from The Washington Post. The inaugural guide includes schedules for the day, food truck locations and commuting options. Oh, and it’s a pdf in case the day is so crazy you are without service.
- Story League Sings at the Black Cat: Host Dana Rossi has some big plans for the musical Story League event on Friday night (January 18). When asked if anything in the show is inauguration-themed, she said, “If the big guy shows up and wants to tell a story and then sing some Hall & Oates, I mean, we’re not gonna stop him. Oh wow, how great would that be if Obama AND Biden showed up to duet on “Private Eyes?” Okay. Now it needs to happen.” The show starts at 9:30 pm. And who knows, maybe the big guy will show.
- The Fallout at Tropicalia: Tropicalia (2001 14th Street NW) will host one heck of a funky inauguration event on Monday, January 21. The event features two DJs and a special guests. Doors open at 9 pm; the event is free.
- Inaugural Dance at the 9:30 Club: Can’t make it to a ball this year? Head to the 9:30 Club on Sunday, January 20 for an Inaugural Eve Dance Party. Tickets are $15; the party starts at 9 pm.
- Sunday Kind of Love: Busboys and Poets will host its monthly poetry reading and open mic on Sunday, January 20 from 5 until 7 pm at 2021 14th Street NW. Tickets are $5.
Get an RSS Feed for all Borderstan stories or subscribe to Borderstan’s daily email newsletter.