Oysters have always been an elegant, complex, luxury treat in my book. But then again, there are some times when I just want to gorge on these beauties along with a few glasses of wine, and not have to sell a kidney to pay the resulting tab.
If you want to enjoy oysters at a reasonable price alongside a glass of wine or a cocktail, Happy Hour is clearly the way to go. Here are some reliable bets in Borderstan to enjoy these briny bivalves:
- Pearl Dive Oyster Palace: This popular 14th Street haunt needs no introduction. Its Happy hour, which runs Monday through Friday from 4 to 7 pm, includes two-for-one local oysters along with drink specials. Definitely shuck it out for a gluttonous, great time.
- Hank’s Oyster Bar: A visit to Hank’s is a must for anyone who wants a good oyster deal. The happy hour is offered daily from 5 to 7 pm and late night from 10 pm to midnight, both of which are ideal times to take advantage of a good oyster special. Great atmosphere, $1 oysters at the bar, friendly service — Hank’s knows the way to my heart. It fills up pretty quickly most evenings, so get there early!
- Urbana: I recently discovered the Happy Hour at this subterranean wine bar. $1 oysters and $8 pizzas, along with $5 sparkling, reds and whites make this a great deal. $1 oysters are even more delightful when accompanied by the bar’s oyster-friendly happy hour list of wine, beer and cocktails. Happy hour runs from 4 to 7 pm daily. Urbana recently started a monthly oyster and beer happy hour on the first Friday of each month: $6 for six oysters and a pint of Port City beer. There is really nothing to think about here.
- Black Jack: Okay, its happy hour is literally an hour each day Tuesday through Friday from 6 to 7 pm, which is a bit sad, but that just means more oysters crammed in less time, right? Black Jack has two-for-one oysters just like Pearl Dive, but here’s the best part: They have an all-day Happy Hour on Sundays from 3 pm to close. Stumble in after a bottomless brunch to continue Sunday Funday activities.
- Tabaq: Did you know Tabaq has $1 oyster specials everyday from 5 to 7 pm and again from 10 pm to midnight along with Happy Hour cocktails? I did not, and hence I have not been to this one yet. If you have, what did you think?
- Tel’veh: I know, this is not technically in Borderstan, but with $1 oysters and over 48 wines by the glass to choose from, this lesser known cousin of Agora a few blocks from Chinatown makes it completely worthwhile to step (not too far) out of Borderstan. Happy Hour runs Monday through Friday from 4.30 to 7:30 pm.
So there you go, tame that oyster craving and quench that thirst without a huge dent in your wallet. Tell me in the comments if I missed your favorite!