If you’re looking for something to do this weekend, then look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in (and around) Borderstan February 22, 23 and 24.
Friday, February 22
- Straight Up Go-Go featuring a performance by Rare Essence: Things might be dicy when it comes to the fate of the Lincoln’s management, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a show at the historic theatre. On Friday night, learn about the history of go-go through a comprehensive video that traces the history and influences of the go-go sound. Tickets are $15, the show starts at 8 pm. For more information, visit the website.
- Who in the Whatnow?: Catch a variety show at 9th & Beats on Friday, February 22. The evening will be a combination of standup, sketch, improv, gameshow and “generally foolish elements.” Tickets are $10, the show starts at 8 pm. For more information, visit the website.
- American Sign Language Open Mic at Busboys and Poets: Busboys and Poets at 14th and V streets NW will host American Sign Language users and viewers for a night of poetry, jokes and short skits. There is a $5 cover. The event starts at 11 pm.
Saturday, February 23
- Open House at Garrison Elementary: Garrison’s last open house for the lottery season is Saturday, February 23 at 9 am. The program will last about an hour and will include a Q&A session with the school’s leaders and educators. For more information, visit Garrison’s Facebook page.
- Psychedelic and Brazilian Funk at Tropicalia: The early show is still guaranteed to bring in the noise. The show starts at 8 pm and includes a Brazilian percussion and vocal group. For more information, visit the website.
- The Prince and Michael Jackson Experience: Imagine if Prince and Michael Jackson were to throw a dance party. That’s what’s pretty much going to happen on Friday evening at the Howard Theatre. The dance party tribute will start at 11 pm. Tickets at the door are $15. For more information, visit the event’s webpage.
Sunday, February 24
- Grab some brunch: Get your friends and start your day off with some eggs and a mimosa or two. Here are some favorite places the Borderstan contributors like to brunch.
- Watch the Academy Awards: Sunday night is Oscars night and Borderstan not only has the predictions on who will win, we also have themed cocktails for your party.
- Wandering Minds at Cause: UDC Law Professor and author of “Why Jury Duty Matters: A Citizen’s Guide to Constitutional Action” Andrew Guthrie Ferguson will lead an interactive discussion titled, “Are We A Country of Half-Assed Citizens?: A Discussion on Civic Engagement in America” at Cause Philanthropub. The event will take place from 3-5 pm; tickets are $9 in advance, $12 at the door. For more information, visit the event’s website.