If you’re looking for something to do this weekend, then look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in (and around) Borderstan March 1, 2 and 3.
Friday, March 1
- You Down With O.P.P.?: Good. Because Naughty by Nature is playing at the Howard Theatre. Tickets are $37 at the door; the show starts at 8 pm.
- Journopalooza: A Benefit for Writopia Lab and Reach Incorporated at Black Cat: Support some local youth reading and writing organizations this Friday at the Black Cat with a show, featuring Cheaper than Therapy, Nobody’s Business, The Stepping Stones, Suspicious Package, Dirty Bomb and Butter. Doors open at 7:30 pm. Tickets are $20 in advance, $30 at the door.
- All the Best Kids at Tropicalia: It’s a no-cover show, featuring an original hip hop band from the District. Formed in early 2012, ATBK weaves elements of hip hop, progressive rock and jazz into its own style of dance music. The show starts at 7 and goes until 10 pm.
- Piano Bar Night at Arena Stage: Did somebody say show tunes? It might be a trip to the SW, but it sure is worth it. Grab a drink and gather ’round the piano for showtunes with host Joshua Morgan in the lobby at 9:30 pm.
Saturday, March 2
- Free Bacon at U Street Music Hall: Yes, you read that correctly. U Street Music Hall will give away free bacon on Saturday, March 2 before 11 pm. Oh, and there will be music with Tittsworth, Des Mcmahon and Reed Rothchild vs. 814OFCOURSE. It all starts at 10 pm and admission is $10.
- Honey Mahogany from RuPaul’s Drag Race: Voted Best Drag Queen 2011, Honey Mahogany is an international drag performer and budding recording artist. Doors open at 10 pm, the drag show starts at 10:30 pm and there are $3 drinks before 11 pm.
Sunday, March 3
- Grab some brunch: Get your friends and start your day off with some eggs and a mimosa or two. Here are some favorite places the Borderstan contributors like to brunch.
- The Delta Sigma Theta Sorority’s Women’s Suffrage March: This Sunday, March 3 sorority members and supporters will meet on the west front of the U.S. Capitol at 9 am to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the role the 22 Founders of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority played in the 1913 Women’s Suffrage March. For more information, visit the website.
- Eels at 9:30: Don’t miss Eels, Nicole Atkins and Puddles Pity Party at 7 pm. Tickets are $25.