Saint Patrick’s Day is for bars what Easter is for church.
It’s this one day out of the year where people crawl out of the woodwork to participate in the activity. Unfortunately for those of us who like to frequent the bars on any ol’ day (or attend church every Sunday), the holiday can make for an awfully crowded occasion.
But this Sunday — otherwise known as Saint Patrick’s Day — it’s time to stand up to the fair-weather drinkers and reclaim your seat at the bar! And we know a few places where you can do just that.
Celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day in Borderstan
- Duffy’s Irish Pub, 2106 Vermont Avenue NW: This neighborhood pub is not limiting its celebration to one day. Green beer is flowing all week. On Thursday, March 14, catch live Irish music from 7 pm until 11 pm. On Sunday, March 17, the doors open at 11 am. There is a $5 cover, which includes live Irish music, Irish dancers, bag pipers and a free T-shirt.
- Shaw’s Tavern, 520 Florida Avenue NW: On Sunday, Shaw’s Tavern will participate in the Saint Patrick’s Day Street Festival on 6th Street NW, between Florida Avenue and S Street NW. Shaw’s will extend its patio for the day, and will have food, drinks, live music and even activities for the kiddos from 11 am until 5 pm! There is no cover for the day.
- Jack Rose, 2007 18th Street NW: Jack Rose will offer a rooftop whiskey party for Saint Patrick’s Day. Specials include $5 Guinness pints and Irish punch, $6 whiskey specials and food from the wood-fired grill. The roof opens at noon.
- Stoney’s, 1433 P Street NW: This Logan Circle bar offers a variety of brews on tap and classic bar fare that is sure to satisfy all of your Saint Patrick’s Day needs and cravings. Oh, and Sunday, there is brunch. There is no special event listed for Saint Patrick’s Day, which also may guarantee you’ll skip out on the drunk crowds!
- Maddy’s Bar & Grille, 1726 Connecticut Avenue NW: Similar to Stoney’s, Maddy’s in Dupont Circle offers plenty of beer and food options that will keep you fueled up for the day-long celebration. You can also check-out its sister restaurant, Maddy’s Taproom in Logan Circle.
- Mad Hatter, 1319 Connecticut Avenue NW: Drink specials start at 9 am and flow freely until close at this Dupont Circle bar. Oh, and they also have green beer.