The Dupont Current newspaper reports that the members-only Washington Club’s historic Patterson mansion (15 Dupont Circle NW) is up for sale at an undisclosed price.
According to its website, the Washington Club, founded in 1891, was the first women’s organization to be incorporated in the District. It was established for “literary purposes, mutual improvement and the promotion of social intercourse.” The club purchased its Dupont Circle location in 1951.
The Dupont Current reports that the club’s membership — which brings in $2,500 annually per person in dues — has declined significantly in recent years to 62 members. Last fall, the members voted to put the mansion up for sale. The city assessed the value of the property at $12.6 million. Due to a confidentiality agreement, the spokesperson for the Washington Club cannot disclose any prospective buyers at this time.
The Patterson mansion was built from 1900 to 1902 by Robert W. Patterson and his wife, of Chicago; the Pattersons commissioned Stanford White of New York as the architect. During the summer of 1927, the mansion was the temporary White House of President Calvin Coolidge.