From Willis Shawver. Follow him on Twitter at @WShawver or email him at Willis[AT]borderstan.com.
The Internet is a big place and you can’t be expected to see everything. Don’t worry: Borderstan Missing Links are here to help. We’ve collected some highlights from the past week that you might have missed. Enjoy!
- Home prices in DC rose 13.6 percent on average this past year. (UrbanTurf)
- Whatever you do, don’t park in front of David Gregory’s house. (The Washington Post)
- Maryland Live casino in Hanover opened table games this week. (The Baltimore Sun)
- Yo-Yo Ma and former Guns N’ Roses drummer ask congress for more arts funding. (WTOP)
- Need another reason to quit? A pack of cigarettes in DC could climb above $8. (DCist)
- Speaking of bad habits. DC to collect over $42 million in “sin taxes” this fiscal year. (Examiner)
- Metro gives up on trying to repair troubled rail cars. Will buy new ones instead. (The Washington Post)
Food and Drink
- Local celebrity chef Mike Isabella might be distancing himself from Bandolero. (Washington City Paper)
- Sequestration claims another victim. White House assistant chef gets furloughed. (DCist)
- Danish “recovery beers” and other hangover cures from around the world. (FOODBEAST)
- The next strain of flu might come from horses, bats, or even seals. Really. (Gizmodo)
- Think you could outrun a Tyrannosaurus Rex? Think again. (i09)
- ‘Vote for Pedro’, ‘I Got Wood’ and other iconic t-shirts in movies. (ShortList)
- You’re never going to guess how they made the dinosaur sounds in Jurassic Park. (Vulture)
- IMBD users vote for the 10 worst movies of all time. (Huffington Post)
- Gavin Rossdale is still getting it done. 90’s band hunks, then and now. (Buzzfeed)
- The answer to one of life’s greatest mysteries. How Arnold Palmer orders an Arnold Palmer. (Yahoo)
- For those of us who love to over analyze things. The anatomy of a really bad strike call. (FanGraphs)
Random Picks of the Week
- Your random blog of the week … a retrospective look at the movie Batman and Robin … and your Moment of Zen.