From Katie Andriulli. Email her at katie[AT]borderstan.com and follow her on Twitter @kandriulli.
Hold onto your hats and livers kids…this weekend is the Kentucky Derby AND Cinco de Mayo, and Borderstan has more than enough fun things on tap for even the most discerning partier.
Friday, May 3
- Hill Country BBQ kicks off its Texas pop up picnic series on the lawn of the National Building Museum (401 F Street NW) tonight from 4 pm to 11 pm. Live music from the Kalob Griffin Band starts at 5:30 pm and there’s no cover.
- Comedian Moshe Kasher, who opened for Aziz Ansari on his recent tour, returns to the District tonight at the DC Improv (1140 Connecticut Avenue NW) with shows at 8 pm and 10:30 pm. Tickets are $20.
- Don your favorite Buffy or Avengers costume (you know you have one) for a chance to win prizes at tonight’s Whedonism II burlesque show at the Black Cat (1811 14th Street NW). Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door, and the show starts at 11 pm.
Saturday, May 4
It’s Derby day! Luckily, the race isn’t until 6:24 pm (and lasts all of 5 seconds) which leaves you with plenty of time to guzzle some mint juleps. Here are just a few places where you can watch the ponies:
- Bayou (2519 Pennsylvania Avenue NW) hosts a Derby party from 3 to 7 pm benefiting the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Ticketsare $20 in advance and $25 at the door.
- Bourbon’s (2312 18th Street NW) 8th annual free bash from 11 am to 7 pm features drink specials and complimentary Kentucky-inspired bites.
- Class it up at the Willard Intercontinental’s (1401 Pennsylvania Ave, NW) annual Bonnets and Bowties party from 4 to 8 pm at the Round Robin bar. Tickets are $75 and include 2 cocktails, food, prizes, live music and more.
Sunday, May 5
Cinco de Mayo: a day when you don’t need an excuse to gorge yourself on guacamole. Here are some festivities happening around the neighborhood (and beyond):
- The Brixton (901 U Street NW) hosts a free “Circus de Mayo” bash from 12 to 8 pm, featuring funnel cakes, a dunk tank, $4 Coronas and boozy sno cones.
- Richard Sandoval’s staples El Centro D.F. (1819 14th Street NW) and Masa 14 (1825 14th Street NW) are both featuring brunch and cocktail specials today, including $5 specialty margaritas, DJs and more.
- Borderstan fave Commissary (1443 P Street NW) will be offering Mexican-themed food and drink specials all weekend, including chilaquiles, and hibiscus margaritas, and their sister restaurant The Heights (3115 14th Street NW) will be holding their annual patio pig roast from 11 am to close.
- Take your pup along for the festivities at the 2nd annual Running of the Chihuahuas at Kastles Stadium (800 Water Street SW). The event, which kicks off at 11 am, is free, but its $20 to enter a dog in the race (all breeds may apply!) All proceeds benefit efforts to build a dog park at the Southwest Waterfront.
- The Howard Theater (620 T Street NW) hosts a Cinco de Mayo themed variety and burlesque show at 8 pm featuring Cherie Sweetbottom and Cherokee Rose. Tickets are $7.50 in advance.
And just in case you need a bit more:
- Take in some family-friendly music and carnival games (and a Moonbunce!) at Stead Park (1625 P Street NW) from 11 am to 3 pm.
- Break out your finest casual wear for Wonderland’s (1101 Kenyon Street NW) annual Sundress Fest starting at noon. All proceeds go to the local charity Ayuda, which works with low-income immigrants in the DC area.