From Mathew Harkins. Email him at mharkins[AT]borderstan.com.
The approach of summer means a lot of different things in DC, many of them involving the weather and the general unpleasantness of said weather. But the coming months also bring all of your favorite summer traditions and the promise of some new ones.
And when looking for fun local traditions, one of the most reliable places we can turn to in Borderstan is Helix Lounge. Located at 1430 Rhode Island Ave NW, Helix Lounge is planning to bring a favorite event back to the neighborhood along with a new one.
First, the Returning Event
On Wednesday, May 29, from 5 to 7 pm, the Backyard Bash will return to the outdoor patio of the Helix Lounge. For just $8, Washingtonians can choose from a variety of specialty burgers (including a vegetarian option), complimentary toppings (as well as specialty toppings for a slight charge), a bag of Utz potato chips and a classic macaroni salad. All of this great food will naturally be paired with Helix Lounge’s regular Happy Hour drink specials.
The Backyard Bash will take place every Wednesday from May 29 through Labor Day.
Local Beer Night
And as for that new event mentioned above? Helix Lounge is about to become your newest stop in the local craft beer scene. Every Tuesday evening starting May 21, Helix Lounge will be hosting Local Beer Night, meaning just $4 for select local beers on tap. Those beers will operate in two different sets.
May 20 through July 15, the selection will be:
- DC Brau “The Public” Pale Ale (Washington, DC)
- Port City Brewing Company “Essential Pale Ale” (Alexandria, VA)
- Starr Hill “The Love” Wheat Hefeweizen (Charlottesville, VA)
- Flying Dog “Old Scratch” Amber Ale (Frederick, MD)
And from July 15 through August 31, the selection will include:
- Heavy Seas “Loose Cannon” IPA (Baltimore, MD)
- DC Brau “The Citizen” Belgian Ale (Washington, DC)
- Dogfish Head “Burton Baton” Imperial IPA/English-Style Ale Blend (Milton, DE)
- Flying Dog “Under Dog” Atlantic Lager (Frederick, MD)
With so many great deals and activities coming up right in the heart of Borderstan, it almost makes you excited for the hot and muggy weather. Well, at least it makes you excited to forget about the humid weather while relaxing at the Helix Lounge.