From Mathew Harkins. Email him at mharkins[AT]borderstan.com.
For those of you too buried in your iPhones and Blackberry phones to have noticed the calendar, Mother’s Day is coming up this Sunday, May 12.
And, that’s right, we’re now just inside that window when there’s not enough time to order a gift online — but still enough that you should come up with more than just a card.
This is why your nonjudgmental Borderstan family is here to help out with some local gifts for your local moms.
- Has your mom been working hard this year? Could she stand to have someone pamper her instead of the other way around? Pick up a gift certificate or schedule a massage for her with Sioux Barry, the official Massage Therapist for DC United, at Healing District.
- Would your mom rather relax with a glass of wine instead of being kneaded? Cork & Fork is one of the very best wine shops in the area. Pick up a bottle or two, or even better, splurge on one of their gift baskets, sure to please the greatest oenophiles in the neighborhood.
- Is your mom appreciative of the bygone era of handwritten letters and notes on proper stationery? Check out the classic styling of Copenhaver where you’ll be taken care of by very friendly and polite staff while discovering something special and unique.
- Does your mom have any green space outside? Or at least like to keep a plant or two indoors? Swing by Old City Farm & Guild for a gift that says you gave me life, now let me try to return the favor.
- If time is getting tight and you just have time to grab a card, Pulp has one of the best selections of cards around. You may find just the right funny or sentimental card to take her mind off you not bringing a gift.
- And finally, if you’re just reading this Sunday morning before heading out the door, we have a handful of bank ATMs (TD Bank, PNC, BB&T, Wells Fargo, SunTrust) in the area if you just want to slide your warm and loving mother some cold, hard cash.
Happy Mother’s day to all you moms out there.