From Katie Andriulli. Email her at katie[AT]borderstan.com and follow her on Twitter @kandriulli.
Hemingway-inspired boozing, The Boss, air guitar, and celebrating moms…what more could you ask for this weekend?
Friday, May 10
- Drink like Hemingway (well, hopefully not exactly like Hemingway if you want to make it home in one piece) at the Kennedy Center’s (2700 F St) Passport to Paris, Pamplona and Beyond reception tonight from 9 to 11:30 pm, featuring 1920’s cocktails, music and snacks. Tickets are $55 in advance, or $60 at the door. And, if you hit up the new Washington Ballet performance of Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises beforehand, the event is only $35 with your ticket stub.
- Get your art, music, and dance on for social change at Danceportation tonight at one of Borderstan’s newest haunts, Black Whiskey (1410 14th St). Things kick off at 7:30 pm and tickets are $20, with proceeds benefiting Provisions Library.
- See The Boss (kinda) for a fraction of the price when Springsteen cover band Bruce in the USA takes the stage tonight at The Hamilton (600 14th St). The show kicks off at 8:30 pm, and tickets are $27.50.
Saturday, May 11
- Jet-set like Kanye (but without carbon footprint) when the EU Embassies host their annual open house today from 10 to 4 pm.
- Sample some homemade beer at Meridian Pint (3400 11th St) today during the DC Homebrewers & Sam Adams Homebrew Competition, where the winner will have their beer produced by the Boston-based brewery. The event starts at 1 pm, and brews are free with a $15 donation to Brainfood, a local charity.
- The not-as-easy-as-it-looks hobby of air guitar is on display tonight at Solly’s (1942 11th Street) which is playing host to the US Air Guitar Qualifiers at 7 pm (free).
Sunday, May 12
- Just call your mom, okay? Or, if she’s in town, take her out to brunch at one of Borderstan’s finest eateries. Lots of them, including DGS Delicatessen (1317 Connecticut Avenue), Mari Vanna (1141 Connecticut Avenue), and 1905 (1905 9th Street) are rolling out special menus for the occasion.
- Moms overwhelmingly enjoy wine and art (often at the same time). Treat yours to a Bold Strokes painting class at Tel’veh wine bar (401 Mass. Avenue) tonight at 5 pm, and she’ll get in for 50% off the $50 per person entry fee.
- Lots of moms also like birds and other nature-y things. If your mom is one of them, be sure to take her to “Birds of Paradise: Amazing Avian Evolution” exhibition, which is closing today at the National Geographic Museum (1145 17th Street). Tickets are $9 to $11.