From Katie Andriulli. Email her at katie[AT]borderstan.com and follow her on Twitter @kandriulli.
Yes, the Preakness is on Saturday, but luckily it’s only like 3 minutes long, so you’ll have plenty of time for other things this weekend…including craft beers, free museums, and (truly!) guilt-free milkshakes.
Friday, May 17
- Perfectly named local band Lindsay Buckingham Palace plays an early show at Black Whiskey (1410 14th Street NW) at 6 pm. Tickets are $10.
- Slightly more fun than watching 12-year-olds pee their pants with nervousness, the Rock & Roll Hotel (1353 H Street NE) hosts its weekly Rock & Roll Spelling Buzz adult spelling bee tonight at 8 pm (admission is free).
- Admit it, you’re kinda curious to find out what the hell a “Comedy Prom Under the Sea” is. Swing by The Dunes (1402 Meridian Place NW) tonight at 8 pm to find out (admission is free).
Saturday, May 18
- Come for brunch mimosas and stay for the beers at Scion (2100 P Street NW), which is featuring at least three craft beer drafts at 1/2-price all day, as well as other specials, in honor of American Craft Beer Week.
- No more excuses not to be cultured! Several of DC’s museums that usually charge admission (including the fantastic Phillips Collection) are waiving their entry fees today for Art Museum Day.
Sunday, May 19
- The 9:30 Club (815 V Street NW) hosts its annual Sound Bites fundraiser for DC Central Kitchen today at 1 pm. For a $40 donation, you’ll get food from over 25 local restaurants and food trucks, music from 7 local bands and cocktails.
- Swing by Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral (2815 36th Street NW) which is throwing its annual Spring Festival today from 12 pm to 7 pm, with tons of delicious food, drinks, live music and more.
- Have a milkshake for dinner (because, why not?) at Shake Shack (1216 18th Street NW), which is running its Great American Shake Sale during the month of May. Donate $2 to Share Our Strength during your visit, and you’ll get a voucher for a free shake ($5 value) on your next visit. It’s a win-win.