From Mathew Harkins. Email him at mharkins[AT]borderstan.com.
There’s been a lot of talk around here about the international experiences available in DC. And on top of that, there’s been some talk about DC’s ranking as a place worth visiting in 2013 because of our existing and ever-expanding food scene. Let’s admit it, this city’s doing well for itself in this second decade of the 2000s.
So, with food and the international experience on our minds, now seemed like a fine time to take a walk along 14th Street to survey our own culinary landscape. Sure, there are great establishments located throughout Borderstan but it’s undeniable that 14th Street has become the go-to location for great new restaurants.
The list below is in no way meant to be comprehensive; how could it be when there’s a new opening practically every few days? Instead, this makes for a good snapshot and a handy cheat sheet when you’re in the mood for a certain cuisine and you want to make sure there’s something nearby. Last week as we were preparing this piece Jessica Sidman at Washington City Paper gave us a great map of how the food landscape will look for the 14th Street corridor.
In no alphabetical or geographic order (besides being on 14th Street), here we go:
- French: the recently opened Le Diplomate.
- American: Birch & Barley, Bar Pilar, The Pig
- Seafood: Pearl Dive Oyster Palace.
- Thai: Thai Tanic, Rice, Teak Wood.
- Ethiopian: Lalibela.
- Spanish: the ever-popular Estadio.
- Belgian: the brand new B Too.
- Italian: a pair of brand new restaurants in Etto and Ghibellina, the standard in the city but new to the neighborhood Matchbox (admittedly better known as a pizza place), and the well known Posto.
- Mexican: El Centro, Taqueria Nacional
- Asian Fusion: Masa 14.
- Bakery: the brand new BakeHouse.
- Pub/Gastropub: Café Saint-Ex, Drafting Table, Black Whiskey
- German: Standard.
- Japanese: Tsunami Sushi & Lounge, Teak Wood (making it’s second appearance on this list).
- Chinese: the pleasantly renovated Great Wall Szechuan House.
So remember, this is a list that will probably be wanting for additions in just a few days, but you can always stay up-to-date at the Borderstan Food & Drink page.