Summer is here and the temperatures have risen. Make sure you wear a hat and some skin protection as you head out this Saturday to the 14 & U Farmers Market. We are told that the list of summer produce is extensive:
- Sugar Snap Peas, Sweet Garden Peas, just dug baby Yukon Gold potatoes, Leeks, baby zucchini with their flowers, sweet Candy Onions, Spring Onions, Green Garlic and Shallot scopes, Spinach, Broccoli rabe, Green Kale, Toscano Kale, Redbore Kale, Baby Beets, Turnips, Sweet Hakurei Salad Turnips,
- The Northern Neck strawberries are slowing down but the Pennsylvania berries are taking their place — look for Sweet Charlies, Earliglows, Ovations and Chandlers. Asparagus too.And don’t forget the rhubarb
- Strawberry rhubarb, chocolate pecan pies, chard with roasted garlic and goat cheese quiche are at Whisked. Panorama has a double-decker table of Damien’s Breton and Parisian pastries and breads.
- Peonies, poppies, hanging baskets, hundreds of potted herbs and vegetables and summer flowers.
- Grillers: tons of steak at Pecan Meadow and lots of cuts of pork like Porterhouse and the Porcine version of New York Strip. (Ask Truck Patch). Sausages at both. Lamb, goat, rabbit, duck, Eggs from chickens, ducks and geese.
Market hours are 9 am to 1 pm, Saturdays only.
So there you have it. Enjoy the market and try to keep cool during this weekend.