What? You haven’t seen an outdoor movie yet this summer? Come out Tuesday, June 25, to Stead Park (1625 P Street NW) at 8:30 pm for the 1991 version of Father of the Bride with Steve Martin.
One of East Dupont’s best kept secrets is Stead’s huge acre of green space. If you haven’t been before, bring a blanket and enjoy a nice evening outside in the neighborhood — free of charge (and free popcorn).
Stead Park turns 60 this year and has a rich history in our neighborhood. Recently, Friends of Stead Park has been working with the community and the DC government to transform the underused acre playing field to include:
- A running track along the perimeter
- Trees and benches (no shade/seating currently)
- A stage for concerts/shows/films
- A kids splash park for hot days
- A smooth, even turf (currently very bumpy and patchy)
- Enough space to continue hosting two kickball games at a time and volleyball and other leagues.
The Friends were successful in securing the funding to start renovations this year and are looking for a few more thoughtful community members to help guide the transformation of the park into an even greater community resource.
Here’s how you can help:
- Like Friends of Stead Park on Facebook.
- Fill out this quick survey about the park (survey is also posted on our Facebook page).
- Write to friendsofsteadparkDC[AT]gmail.com to express your interest in getting more involved.
The film event is sponsored by Lindsay Reishman Real Estate and Historic Dupont Circle Main Streets.