(Updated at 12:42 p.m.) Two people are in critical condition and one person has serious but non-life threatening injuries after a building at the former site of the Shaw Junior High School (925 Rhode Island Avenue NW) suffered an electrical fire today around 11:18 a.m.
D.C. Fire and EMS spokesperson Oscar Méndez said the fire started due to an electrical transformer.
The fire has since been extinguished.
Firefighters could be seen on the roof of the building pouring water inside. Thick black smoke billowed out of the building for a short period of time.
Authorities on the scene told a Borderstan reporter that they think the building was not in use at the time of the fire.
One man wearing a D.C. Department of General Services patch was being given oxygen on the scene, observed our reporter.
D.C. Fire and EMS said three people were transported to the hospital from the scene; two in critical condition, one with serious but non-life threatening injuries.
D.C. Police closed the portion of 9th Street NW from Rhode Island Ave to T Street NW, and are advising motorists to use Q or 7th streets NW.
Jared Holt contributed reporting to this story.