The U Street corridor and the rest of the District is under a blizzard warning until 6 a.m. Sunday. The storm is expected to bring about two feet of snow and winds 25 to 35 miles per hour, according to the National Weather Service.
Here’s what else you might want to know for the weekend:
- Some bars and restaurants have closed for the storm. Others are open with specials, for now. There also are a lot of canceled events.
- The District is under a snow emergency for the duration of the blizzard. During the emergency, you can’t leave your car on Georgia Avenue, 16th Street and U Street, as well as sections of Park Road, Kenyon Street, Irving Street, Columbia Road, Harvard Street, Florida Avenue and 9th Street. If you do, you could get fined and towed.
- The DC USA retail development is offering $1-per-day parking during the blizzard.
- Metro trains and buses won’t run on Saturday and Sunday.
- Have cabin fever? Snowball fights are scheduled for the Meridian Hill and Dupont Circle parks Sunday.
Photo via Instagram/Smithsonian’s National Zoo